Essays are presented which discuss drilling for petroleum in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) in Alaska. The essays cover the controversy from several angles and provide information on the history of oil exploration in Alaska, the history of ANWR, and important events and terms related to the discussion.
This article focuses on the oil prospecting activity at various sites in Alaska. On the very northern cusp of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge is...
Ban Alaskan oil exports--and protect US consumers.
Christian Science Monitor
Discusses the reasons given by United States president George W. Bush for opening the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to drill for oil and gas.
Opposed to Drilling
Presents a letter to the editor in opposition of oil drilling in the Arctic.
Presents several reasons for opposing the drilling of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
Why Oil and Wildlife Don't Mix
Editorial. Focuses on the opening of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil drilling and development in the United States. Arctic and subarctic...
From the Executive Director
An introduction to the journal is presented in which the editor discusses the impact of Arctic oil drilling program on Arctic region.
To Drill or Not to Drill
Focuses on the issue of petroleum drilling by oil companies in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska. Complaints of environmentalists on the...
BP moves in on the Arctic
Focuses on the protests made by Greenpeace activists against BP Amoco's Arctic oil drilling. Effect of the BP Amoco oil drilling to the Arctic ice...
Cold Hard Cache: The Arctic Drilling Controversy
Environmental Health Perspectives
The article focuses on the offshore drilling plans in the Arctic Ocean after the explosion of British Petroleum's Deep Water Horizon oil rig in the...
Where the Caribou Roam
Narrates a trip to the Caribou Pass in Kongakut River in Alaska. Facts on the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska; Information on a...
Moratorium Won't Stop Unprecedented BP Project in the Arctic
A blog related to BP PLC's offshore drilling project called Liberty in the Arctic despite freeze on offshore drilling permits by the U.S. government...
ConocoPhillips drops out of Arctic Power lobby group
National Petroleum News
Reports that Houston, Texas-based ConocoPhillips has dropped out of the Arctic Power, a lobbying group that promotes the opening of the coastal plain...
Scholastic News -- Edition 4
Presents a debate on whether Congress should vote for allowing companies to drill oil at the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska.
Drilling Paradise Dry?
Science World (Teacher's Edition)
Provides information as well as teaching materials for oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska.
A correction to the article regarding the incorrect information that appeared during the legislation concerning the drilling of the Arctic National...
The real cost of drilling
Christian Science Monitor
Focuses on the debate surrounding Congress' proposal to conduct exploratory drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR).
Around the World: THE ARCTIC
Earth Island Journal
Provides information on the oil-drilling Northstar project of British Petroleum in the Arctic Ocean.
Arctic Oil: Black Gold or Fool's Gold?
Discusses issues surrounding the opening of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska to oil drilling and development.
Arctic Drilling Articles A-Z
- 60 SECONDS
- A House panel voted to open the Arctic wildlife refuge
- A joint House-Senate
- A Pimm and Proper World: An Interview with Biologist Stuart Pimm
- A Pipeline of Lies
- A waste of energy?
- Action in the Arctic
- Adversaries in the Arctic
- Alaska OCS Progress
- ALASKA'S Oil War
- Alaska's Pumping ANWR
- ALASKA: OIL'S GROUND ZERO
- ALASKAN OIL DRILLING CAUSES MORE DAMAGE THAN EXPECTED
- Alaskan Refuge
- Alaskans Back ANWAR Drilling An a Protected Environment
- America's E&P pushed by strong US gas prices, stable oil prices
- Americans Will Again Fight To Protect the Arctic Refuge
- Another testy relationship
- ANWR Battle Continues Despite Senate's Failure to End Filibuster
- ANWR Clears Senate Hurdle, Barely
- ANWR split gives GOP 2 platforms
- Arctic Development Threatens Birds
- Arctic drilling halted by Shell
- Arctic drilling plans halted
- Arctic Drilling: An Overview
- Arctic Drilling: Guide to Critical Analysis
- Arctic E&P activity gains new ground
- Arctic lake promises hot data on past climate
- Arctic Mayhem, Contrails and Climate, and Dirty Diesels
- Arctic mistakes
- Arctic National Wildlife Refuge: Too Wild To Waste
- Arctic oil drilling needs better federal regulation (+video)
- Arctic oil drilling: a risky choice
- Arctic Oil, Frozen Dialogue
- Arctic Oil: Black Gold or Fool's Gold?
- Arctic Refuge Survives Another Year of Scheming
- Around the World: THE ARCTIC
- Artic Shootout Coming Up in Senate
- Audubon View
- Ban Alaskan oil exports--and protect US consumers
- BP moves in on the Arctic
- Cairn wins Greenpeace restraining order
- Canmar's Arctic drilling fleet is sold
- Cold Hard Cache: The Arctic Drilling Controversy
- Collaboration pinpoints Arctic technology needs
- ConocoPhillips drops out of Arctic Power lobby group
- ConocoPhillips Ends ANWR Lobbying
- Counterpoint: Arctic Oil Drilling is Hazardous to the Environment
- Counterpoint: There are Better Energy Alternatives to Drilling in Alaska
- Crosby and Commentaries
- Decision '08
- Democrats Make War on Tax Cuts, Energy Independence
- Did You Know?
- Drilling blocked in Arctic Refuge
- Drilling Paradise Dry?
- Dry Well for Sanity
- Energy stirrings
- Energy supply bill clears House panel
- For Alaska Bankers, No Debate About Arctic Drilling
- From the editor
- From the Executive Director
- Fuel farce as polar bear is arrested in Arctic protest
- Gas drills go under the ice
- Gas from the Audubon Society
- Gas Price Rise Heightens Threat Facing Arctic Refuge
- Gentler footsteps on the tundra
- GLOBAL DATA
- Going, Going...Gone?
- GOP push for new drilling
- Governing destruction
- Government Delays Shell's Drilling Operations in the Arctic
- Greenpeace strikes a nerve with Shell
- Greenpeace threatens legal action over drilling
- HiLoad system to stabilize drillship in Arctic waters
- House may scrap even the finished bills on spending
- House OKs ANWR Drilling, Again
- Ice Bound
- If We Can Drill In Swamps, Why Not The Arctic?
- In Alaska, Oil is Still the Issue
- INSIDE ALASKA BUSINESS
- IS ALASKA THE ANSWER?
- Landrieu's vote swap on ANWR could help save Louisiana coast
- Large resources, big challenges
- Lawmaker: Taxes from Oil Exploration Could Fund Roads
- Linda Chavez
- Long wait
- Looking Out for Wildlife
- Lusting after black gold
- MEASURING THE END OF THE WORLD
- Melt, smash and grab
- Midnight hour for Alaska's coastal plain
- Moratorium Won't Stop Unprecedented BP Project in the Arctic
- More Energy is the Simple Solution to the Energy Crisis
- National energy demands, desire to export, maturing plays push frontier exploration
- Native Alaskans Speak Out About Refuge
- NATURE'S FRAY
- New Chapter in ANWR Political Saga
- New push to pump oil from Alaska refuge
- No decision on Arctic drilling
- No more oil spills
- No need to panic, melting ice means more oil
- Oil debate in Alaska is all in a name
- Oil Drill
- Oil drilling in Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
- Oil giant Total SA speaks out against offshore drilling in Arctic
- Oil spill fears halt Shell's drilling plans
- Opposed to Drilling
- Point: Arctic Drilling is a Necessary Solution
- Pool Energy Services Co
- Postcard: Greenland
- PRESSURE TO DRILL INCREASES FOR ARCTIC REFUGE
- Protected areas could be opened to drilling
- Protesters shut 40 of Shell's London garages
- Quest to wring more oil from Alaska north slope
- Rebel octet move to kill off Alaska bill
- Republicans Win Key Budget Victories
- RESISTANCE TO ARCTIC DRILLING THAWS
- RESOURCE MATH
- Rich rewards but caution should be welcomed
- Rig talk
- RIGHT & LEFT: Congressional Votes
- Save Our Arctic!
- SAVING THE ARCTIC REFUGE
- Sea Change
- Senate and House on collission course
- Senate Rejects Oil Drilling in Refuge
- Senate should at least vote on drilling in Alaska
- Senate votes against drilling in Alaska
- Senate, House go head to head
- Sharpening the Drills
- Shell delays Arctic drilling for another year
- Shell Ends Plans For Arctic Drilling This Year
- Shell has 'every intention' of pushing into Arctic waters despite setbacks
- Shell pauses its Arctic drilling effort after a series of problems
- SHELL POISED FOR ALASKA PROSPECTS
- Shell puts its Arctic drilling plans on ice
- Shell rig incident sparks drill fears
- Shell set to review Alaskan adventure
- Shell suspends Arctic drilling plans to 2013
- Shell's Kulluk Drilling Unit Secured In Safe Harbor
- Shell's Slick Track Record
- Should Drilling Be Permitted in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge?
- Should We Drill in Alaska?
- site geist
- Slickrock certitudes
- Stop Shell
- Sustaining offshore production
- TAKING ACTION�
- Teamsters support oil exploration in Alaska
- TEN REASONS
- The caribou conundrum
- The coveted slope
- The Debate Over Oil Drilling in the Alaskan Wild
- The Energy Behind the Energy Fight
- The grand plans of Congressman Udall
- The impact on other public lands
- The Last Wilderness
- THE NEVER-ENDING WORLD OF RISK
- The Oil Barrel is Half Full
- The real cost of drilling
- The Risky Business of Arctic Drilling
- The Rush for Black Gold in the Arctic
- The walrus or the oil?
- TIME FOR AN OIL CHANGE
- To Drill or Not to Drill
- To the highest bidder
- Unions urge Clinton to support ANWR
- Up front
- Update from AMS's Congressional Science Fellow
- US scuppers Shell's hopes of drilling Alaskan Arctic
- US-Russia drill team
- WASHINGTON DIARY
- Welding On Arctic Pipeline Challenges Construction Crews
- What's in a name?
- What's the Drill?
- Where the Caribou Roam
- WHITE BEARS, BLACK OIL
- Why Oil and Wildlife Don't Mix
- Wild, Abundant America
- Wilderness Is Us
- Writer's works argue case against Alaska oil drilling