High quality essays written by experts on literacy and education are presented. Essays discuss the rise of literacy rates in the U.S. throughout its history, the reasons for the broad decline of reading in recent years, and educational theories which attempt to improve this trend.
Literacy Rates Across the Globe.
Trinidad & Tobago Country Review
A map is presented with information on the literacy rates across the globe.
Promoting Literacy: Resources of the National Institute for Literacy.
Phi Kappa Phi Forum
Provides information on resources of the National Institute for Literacy which aim to promote literacy in the U.S. as of April 2004. Literacy...
Literacy in the Information Age.
Considers three categories of literacy in relation to information technology. Discussion on narrative, expository and document literacy; Definition...
Definitions / Perspectives.
Explores the definition of information literacy from various perspectives. Definition offered by the American Library Association Presidential...
A Study On Legal Literacy Among Secondary School Students
Indian Streams Research Journal
Legal literacy is matter of great concern in todays society. The failure of execution of many laws has been attributed to the lack of awareness ....
Avaliação pedagógica de obras literárias
Placed between the abundance of the publishing market and the work with reading in the schools, the educational evaluation of literary works carried...
Rewriting "Goldilocks" in the urban, multicultural elementary school
This article presents an experimental project on the use of multiliteracies and new technology in the urban elementary school Joyce Public School in...
Citatelsk� gramotnost �iakov �tvrt�ho rocn�ka z�kladn�ch �k�l: s�vislosti s vekov�mi rozdielmi �iakov v r�mci jedn�ho rocn�ka
Slovak Journal for Educational Sciences / Pedagogika
The study focuses on studentscountry's educational policy regarding delay of schol enrollment, and retention or acceleration of students. The...
Patient handouts? We're wasting our time
Discusses the uselessness of printed education materials for patients due to the compounding problem of adult illiteracy. Decrease in reading levels...
Ideas offered for adult literacy programs
Announces the availability of Project Lifelong Learning's video and print materials that identify key strategies for helping adults develop their...
THE STANDARDS FOR TECHNOLOGICAL LITERACY: TODAY THE BOSTON MUSEUM OF SCIENCE, TOMORROW THE WORLD
The article presents information on International Technology Education Association's document "Standards for Technological Literacy" (STL). This...
Children and Spiritual Reading
The article focuses on the significance of using Catholic literature in character building for school children. The author cites the study done by...
J�venes, curr�culo y competencia literaria
Revista Electr�nica de Investigaci�n Educativa
In this article we describe the access to literary texts and analyze literacy practices in a particular domain: high school literature class. We...
Kauno meno mokyklos prisiminimu puslapius besklaidant
Acta Academiae Artium Vilnensis
The article outlines the memories of Kaunas School of Arts in Lithuania. It notes that the country has many higher education institutions from which...
Take Two Poems and Call Me in the Morning (Or Why Teachers Need Poetry)
The article presents an author's view on the importance of poetry in education. She describes how poetry heighten the students' feelings of resonance...
For the love of reading
Inside Tucson Business
Reports illiteracy in Tucson schools, Arizona. Partnership of the Rotary Club with Reading Seed and the University of Arizona to build a program to...
Fourth period in Grade 7 literacy workshop: Insights from organizational and management theories
Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy
Argues that literacy workshops are highly organized environments. Features of the six theoretical organizational models; Characteristics of well-...
Stvaranje prijatelja/Making friends: Multimodal literacy activities as bridges to intercultural friendship and understanding
Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy
Focuses on the cross-cultural collaborative literacy project entitled Making Friends, involving U.S. and Bosnian middle school students and their...
Introduction to the special issue on evolutionary educational psychology
Learning & Individual Differences
Introduces a series of articles pertaining to educational psychology, featured in the December 2000 issue of the periodical 'Learning and Individual...
Crossroads to the world
Focuses on the impact of the Crossroads to the World educational program on student learning in Altoona, Pennsylvania. Development of curriculum...
Literacy Articles A-Z
- 'It's not all black and white': Postmodern picture books and new literacies
- 'The way I look at the world': Imaginal interaction and literacy use at TeenStreet
- 16mm Films & Videocassettes
- 21. Y�ZYIL OKURYAZARLIK T�RLERI, DEGISEN METIN ALGISI VE T�RK�E EGITIMI
- A Curricular and Instructional Challenge: Teaching and Learning for Technological Literacy/Capability
- A Little Financial Education Goes a Long Way
- A medical misunderstanding
- A tool for lifelong empowerment? Certainly
- Aboriginal literacy: Reading the tracks
- Adolescent literacy comes of age
- Adult literacy after 1990
- Adult literacy and democratic renewal in the new Scotland
- Adult literacy in Canada, the United States and Germany
- Adult literacy in New Zealand: Issues in policy, practice and biculturalism
- Afterword(s): The Great Variety of Readers
- Alarming literacy?
- An Eight-Point Attack on Illiteracy
- And I read it all by myself!
- Appendix 3: Progress map: Repertoire of Literacy Teaching Practices
- Audiovisual review: Films & videos
- Book reviews
- Books for adolescents
- Call for Manuscripts
- CNE Questions
- computer fluency
- Coors `literacy' program impacts many lives
- Creating literacy links
- Critical literacy at work
- Definitions / Perspectives
- Demystifying literacy: Reading, writing, and the struggle for liberation
- Designing Tech-Literacy Centers for 21st Century Students
- Directions for Literacy Research and Education in the Millennium: A Framework for Library Connections
- Do Your Workers Need Literacy Training?
- Dynamic Literacy
- Early literacy assessment-Thoughtful, sensible, and good
- Editor's message
- Editorial Introduction
- Editors' introduction
- Effective literacy
- Electronics library
- Empowering women and families through literacy in Nepal
- Engineering and Standards for Technological Literacy
- Excluded voices: Class, culture, and family literacy in Scotland
- Family Literacy
- Family, literacy, development and culture: Interconnections, reconstructions
- Fantastic fall set for The Reading Teacher
- From dissemination to discernment: The commodification of literacy instruction and the fostering of "good teacher consumerism"
- From Efficient Decoders to Strategic Readers
- Health literacy: a challenge for American patients and their health care providers
- Health Literacy: An Ethical Responsibility
- History of the adult literacy program in Antigua
- Home-School Connections
- how financially literate are you?
- How is literacy taught?
- How literate are you? Take the FEI quiz
- Identity construction in elementary readers and writers
- Information literacy and the role of libraries
- INFORMATION LITERACY IN NEW ZEALAND PUBLIC LIBRARIES
- Information literacy: A position paper on information problem solving
- INFORMATION LITERACY: Competency Standards for Higher Education
- Information literacy: The changing library
- Integrating technology with the teaching of an early literacy course
- Intergenerational conversations and two adolescents' multiple literacies: Implications for redefining content area literacy
- International Literacy Day: The tip of the iceberg
- INTERNATIONAL REPORTS ON LITERACY RESEARCH
- Introduction: Family literacy
- Is Your Workforce Illiterate?
- Jerry Harste speaks on reading and writing
- Joining the video-game literacy club: A reluctant mother tries to join the "flow"
- Journal of Reading offers something for everyone
- just think a media-literacy curriculum that works
- Knowing Literacy: Constructive Literacy Assessment
- L'alphabetisation fonctionelle en Roumanie rurale
- Laubach, LVA announce plans to merge
- Leisure & Literacy
- Let's not marginalize adolescent literacy
- Lida Cochran, Matriarch of Visual Literacy
- Literacy and Health Are Issues Linked in Many Ways
- Literacy and labeling
- Literacy and literacy training of francophones in Canada
- LITERACY AND SOCIAL CLASS IN ANTIQUITY
- Literacy As a Human Problem (Book)
- Literacy changes lives
- Literacy Coalition unveils action agenda at special forum
- Literacy in a thousand words
- Literacy in American Lives (Book)
- Literacy in Japan: Obstacles and opportunities
- Literacy in postcolonial Malaysia
- Literacy in the Caribbean
- Literacy in the Information Age
- Literacy instruction in Italy: An interview with Clotilde Pontecorvo and Renzo Titone
- Literacy Lists
- Literacy Rates Across the Globe
- Literacy research in the next millennium: From paradigms to pragmatism and practicality
- Literacy status among major predictors of healthiness
- Literacy teams: Sharing leadership to improve student learning
- Literacy With an Attitude (Book Review)
- Literacy: A family affair
- Living a literate life
- Looking for critical literacy with postbaccalaureate content area literacy students
- Low Literacy
- LVA completes rally to promote literacy
- Making literacy a family affair
- Making literacy real for 'high-risk' adolescent emerging readers: An innovative application of readers' workshop
- Media and cultural studies in Australia
- Media Literacy (Book)
- Media Smarts
- MEDIA-SAVVY KIDS
- Media: Video
- Mixing old technologies with new
- Money matters
- New avenues to literacy
- New Environmental Book Emphasizes Critical Thinking
- new literacies: towards a renewed role of school libraries
- On the Structure and Meaning of Information Literacy
- Paris hosts Literacy Day celebration
- Perspectives on world literature
- Poverty and reading age
- Principles for literacy assessment
- Programs help adult learners
- Project provides network
- Promoting Literacy: Resources of the National Institute for Literacy
- Questioning development: Introduction to Special Issue
- RAN targets a nation's needs
- RAP celebrates literacy
- Real literacy in a school setting: Five-year-olds take on the world
- References and Resources
- Reflecting on Literacy in Education (Book)
- Religion and Science: Worldviews Collide
- Reviews: Nonfiction
- Scholastic offers help for nonprofit literacy organizations
- Schoolwide literacy days
- Science Literacy, The Hard Way
- Secondary Instruction: Does Literacy Fit In?
- Seventeen, self-image and stereotypes
- Special themed issue: Re/mediating adolescent literacies
- Springfield Literacy Project finds new home and funding
- Staniec heads literacy prog
- Strategic Funding Strategies
- Strategies to support balanced literacy approaches in pre- and inservice teacher education
- Surfing companion
- SYLLABUS: ADULT LITERACY IN COMMUNITY CONTEXTS SUZANNE SMYTHE
- Teachers of literacy, love of reading, and the literate self: A response to Ann Powell-Brown
- Television and metaphors of literacy
- Test Yourself!
- Test Yourself
- Tex Education
- The ABCs of Workplace Literacy
- The caregiver's role in emergent literacy
- The definition of literacy is changing
- The dynamics of literacy lessons An introduction to In Teachers' Hands: Effective Literacy Teaching Practices in the Early Years of Schooling
- The elusive art of NGO literacy
- The face in the mirror, the person on the page
- The future of work and the work of the future
- The Literacy Hoax
- The Magnavox Experience
- The Mission of Literacy USA
- The political economy of literacy in the Third World
- The social and economic costs of low levels of literacy
- Third Sector
- Tips for structuring workplace literacy programs
- Toward a critical pedagogy of popular culture: Literacy development among urban youth
- Toward a New Definition of Literacy
- Toward a technology for assessing basic early literacy skills
- Traditionalism versus functionality in adult literacy education
- UK agency wins IRA Literacy Award
- Understanding the dimensions of biological literacy
- Video reviews
- Vocabulary in Context
- Voice of Literacy podcasts launched
- What is literacy? Acquiring and using literacy skills
- What they see is what we get: Television and middle school writers
- What's hot, what's not for 1998
- Whither the future of quantitative literacy research?
- Women and development
- Women and literacy: A quest for justice
- WOMEN IN LITERACY GRANTS
- Women's literacy in worldwide perspective
- Women's literacy: A curriculum of assertion, resistance, and accommodation
- Word Analogies
- Workplace literacy as a contested site of educational activity
- Workplace Literacy Problems: Triangulating on Potential Hot Spots
- WR Test Yourself!
- Writing travelers' tales on New Literacyscapes