Sex education needs to be made compulsory
- Comprehensive sex-ed measure advances. // Windy City Times;3/23/2011, Vol. 26 Issue 25, p8
The article reports that Senate Bill 1619, a comprehensive sex-education measure sponsored by Chicago, Illinois Senator Heather Steans advances from the Senate Public Health Committee on March 15, 2011.
- Wash. legislators aren't setting excited about sex ed this year. // Gay & Lesbian Times;3/9/2006, Issue 950, p28
The article reports on the implementation of sex education bill in public schools in Seattle, Washington. The introduction of the bill was triggered by various issues such as controlling sexually transmitted disease, birth control and increasing teenage pregnancy that leads to increasing state...
- Legislation will not solve societal problems. Hehir, Brid // Nursing Standard;3/12/2008, Vol. 22 Issue 27, p28
The author reflects on the role of compulsory sex education in preventing teen pregnancies in Great Britain. She states that the legislation will not solve societal problems based on the findings of several studies that sex education has little impact on the rate of teenage pregnancy. Meanwhile,...
- Alabama bill would end "gay is illegal" sex ed. // Empty Closet;May2013, Issue 467, p4
The article reports that a petition has been launched by activists All Out, Advocates for Youth, and AIDS Alabama calling for the approval of a bill that would remove a requirement that sexual education teachers tell students that being gay is a criminal offense in Alabama.
- Utah Legislature. Witkowski, D'anne // Between the Lines (10807551);3/15/2012, Issue 2011, p16
The article presents the author's views on the legislative bill passed in Utah which dismantles the sex education in the state.
- ACROSS THE NATION. // Education Week;3/24/1993, Vol. 12 Issue 26, p2
The article presents information on recent developments related to education in the U.S. A study found that children who attended preschool programs implemented under the Kentucky Education Reform Act of 1990 fared better in kindergarten than children who did not. The Georgia state board of...
- With friends like theseï¿½. Melby, Todd // Contemporary Sexuality;Aug2007, Vol. 41 Issue 8, p1
The article reports on the issues concerning the proposal of Representative David Obey, chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, to increase the annual fund for Community-Based Abstinence Education (CBAE) from $113 million to $140 million in the U.S. Sexuality education supporters and...
- Sex-Education Measures Advance. . Flax, Ellen // Education Week;3/16/1988, Vol. 7 Issue 25, p12
The article focuses on the introduction of bills mandating statewide sex education in the U.S. A bill that would require all school districts to offer a sex-education curriculum by July 1, 1989 will be signed by Georgia Governor Joe Frank Harris. Efforts have been launched by South Carolina...
- POLITICAL MANEUVERS. // Education Week;3/1/2006, Vol. 25 Issue 25, p20
This article reports that members of the South Dakota Senate education committee wait for other panelists as they prepare to meet in the Rotunda of the Capitol on February 21, 2006. A parliamentary maneuver forced the committee to send to the Senate floor a House-passed bill that would have...