Sex education has no place in primary schools
- School-based programs to reduce sexual risk behaviors: A review of effectiveness. Kirby, Douglas; Short, Lynn // Public Health Reports;May/Jun94, Vol. 109 Issue 3, p339
Focuses on school-affiliated programs designed to reduce sexual risk-taking behavior and the importance of basing these programs on sound research. Review of the research on these programs and assessment of their impact on behavior; Identification of 23 studies of school-based programs that...
- Time for "The Talk". Yates, Susan Alexander // Today's Christian Woman;May/Jun99, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p18
Presents guidelines in tackling the sex issue to children. Includes Talk more than once; Communicate the positives; Set standards; Be practical; Involve others; Be forgiving.
- Study finding earlier puberty raises sex ed. questions. Portner, Jessica // Education Week;04/16/97, Vol. 16 Issue 29, p3
Stresses the need for sex education beginning on the fifth grade due to early onset of puberty to American girls based on the study by the University of California at Chapel Hill. Chemical exposures that mimic female hormones as primary factor that brought puberty at an early age; Average age...
- Sexuality education works: Here's proof. Berne, Linda A.; Huberman, Barbara K. // Education Digest;Feb96, Vol. 61 Issue 6, p25
Presents information on comprehensive sexuality education in schools. Arguments concerning effectiveness of abstinence; Concerns on intimate sexual behavior; Abortion as a resolution; Use of condoms; Responsibility of families.
- How to talk to your children about sex and drugs. Haywood, Richette L.; Jones, Lisa C. // Ebony;Oct1994, Vol. 49 Issue 12, p134
Discusses Charles S. Ballard's work with young black fathers to teach them sexual responsibility. Tips for teaching children about sexual responsibility; Avoidance of the topics of drugs and sex in the black family; Use of family-approved videotapes to expose children to sex; Increase in the...
- Teaching sexuality: Schools supporting families as primary... Baldwin, Cynthia; Bauer, Karlin Evans // Journal of Humanistic Education & Development;Jun94, Vol. 32 Issue 4, p162
Discusses the important role which parents can play in the development of sexual values for children. Parents preferred by children as the primary source of sexuality education; Normal sexual development within a familial context; Model programs to encourage school counselors to play a...
- How much sex education do kids need? // Glamour;Jul95, Vol. 93 Issue 7, p101
Presents readers' views on sex education for children. Topics to be included in sex education; Role played by educating children about contraception in encouraging children to be sexually active; Adequacy of sex education taught in children.
- Parents should be their children's first sex education teachers, pediatricians say. // Jet;11/18/96, Vol. 91 Issue 1, p23
Relates suggestions regarding sex education of children. The key role of parents according to the American Academy of Pediatrics; The need to offset the role of media.
- Class notes. Singer, Mark // New Yorker;06/09/97, Vol. 73 Issue 15, p40
Focuses on the inclusion of sex education in the elementary education curriculum in the United States. Celebration of the Egg Week in the Center School; Life-and-death baby-care simulation; Teaching of pupils about parenthood.