- Kalkar nuclear plant will be dismantled. // Modern Power Systems;Oct93, Vol. 13 Issue 10, p7
Reports on the plans of Germany's Kalkar council to redesignate the site of the Kalkar fast breeder nuclear power plants as an agricultural area. Failure of plans to convert the site to either an interim storage facility for radioactive waste or a gas turbine power plant; Site owner SBK's need...
- World's oldest operating nuclear power station closes down. // Click Green Newsletter;3/2/2012, Issue 10, p4
The article provides information on the closure of the oldest operating nuclear power plant Oldbury, near Bristol, England.
- Waste management is U.K. plant's new mission as it shuts down. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;06/22/98, Vol. 240 Issue 25, p14
Reports that the United Kingdom government's halt of commercial fuel reprocessing at the Dounreay nuclear plant in Scotland will switch its focus entirely to decommissioning and waste management. Estimated cost of retrieving and storing 700 cubic meters of underground radioactive wastes;...
- TVA invests for decommissioning. Chambers, Ann // Power Engineering;Aug96, Vol. 100 Issue 8, p15
Reports on the decommissioning of the nuclear power plants in Tennessee Valley, Texas. Tennessee Valley Authority's investment of $400 million into trust funds to ensure decommissioning of the nuclear plants; Projected investment rate of return.
- Power struggle. John, Geraint // Supply Management;7/17/2003, Vol. 8 Issue 15, p4
Discusses the decommissioning of ageing nuclear power plants in Great Britain. Role of private companies in cleaning up the legacy of nuclear power; Estimated costs associated with the decommissioning; Allocation of risk in the supply chain.
- Cleaning up. Kaye, Chris // Supply Management;7/17/2003, Vol. 8 Issue 15, p20
Discusses the role of private contractors in the decommissioning of aging nuclear power plants in Great Britain. Estimated costs associated with the decommissioning; Procurement models for different decommissioning projects; Role of liabilities management unit in the national clean-up challenge.
- Plan to bring down Windscale plant. Greek, Dinah // Professional Engineering;02/24/99, Vol. 12 Issue 4, p14
Reports on the decommissioning of the Windscale nuclear power plant in Great Britain as of February 24, 1999. Background on the project; BNFL Magnox Generation's contract to complete the reactor dismantling; Project as an opportunity for British companies to learn lessons about nuclear power...
- ROCKY FLATS: CLOSING IN ON CLOSURE. Ackland, Len // Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists;Nov/Dec2001, Vol. 57 Issue 6, p52
Focuses on the closure of the Rocky Flats nuclear weapons plant in Colorado. Security measures at the site; Progress of the decommissioning work; Design of the facility; Concern of the United States Department of Energy.
- Wurgassen decommissioning. // Modern Power Systems;Nov95, Vol. 15 Issue 11, p7
Reports on the application of German utility firm PreussenElektra to the NorthshrineWestphalia ministry for a license to decommission the Wurgassen nuclear power plant. Possibility of upgrading the plant.
- DISMANTLING A NUCLEAR REACTOR. Gray, Kevin; Design, Bryan Christie // Fast Company;Jun2011, Issue 156, p34
The article presents information on the dismantling of a nuclear power plant located in Zion, Illinois which was started up in 1973 and shut down in 1998, focusing on the procedures necessary for disposing of radioactive waste.