The GUN DEBATE
- Three years too late. Mulawka, Brian // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;05/25/98, Vol. 25 Issue 23, p20
Discusses the activities of opponents to a gun registry requirement of Bill C-68 in the Canadian legislature. Letter sent by the User Group on Firearms to Justice Minister Anne McLellan; Problem with a complicated registration process; Views of Reform Party legislator Garry Breitkreuz;...
- Do-it-yourself gun control. Parker Jr., Shafer // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;08/03/98, Vol. 25 Issue 33, p18
Describes preparations in Canada to enforce the new Firearms Act after October 1, 1998. Recruitment of volunteers to aid in gun registration; Opposition from many gun owners to the act; Views of Keith Serry, Firearms Act project manager; Those unwilling to carry out the registration drive; Role...
- Buy while they're still legal. Cunningham, Dave // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;08/03/98, Vol. 25 Issue 33, p18
Describes the response of residents in British Columbia to the Canadian Firearms Act. Why residents oppose the act; How the act has triggered a gun-buying spree; Details about the law; The provincial government's gun amnesty; Concerns about computer registration of gun owners.
- How states regulate guns. Carroll, James // State Government News;Sep2001, Vol. 44 Issue 8, p37
Examines the regulations and legislation implemented by state governments in the United States about the carrying of concealed weapons. Comparison of the may-issue and shall-issue types of laws on carrying concealed weapons; States which imposed the waiting period for handgun purchases mandated...
- Gun Control in the United States: A Comparative Survey of State Firearm Laws. // Spectrum: Journal of State Government;Fall2000, Vol. 73 Issue 4, p16
Presents a comparative survey of state firearm laws in the United States. Factors complicating the connection between gun laws and gun injury; Ten top-rated states in the study; Comparison of state and federal gun laws; Undermining of strict gun laws in one state with the permissive laws of...
- Gun control -- a viable solution? Barton, Joe // Fort Worth Business Press;06/30/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 10, p31
Comments on the gun control measures being considered in the United States Congress, including the conduct of background checks for firearm transfers in gun shows and the use of child-proof trigger locks with handguns. Burden imposed by the measures on law-abiding gun owners; Hazards associated...
- FACT-FREE GUN POLICY. Cook, Philip J.; Ludwig, Jens // University of Pennsylvania Law Review;Apr2003, Vol. 151 Issue 4, p1329
Comments on the cost of a fact-free gun policy. Impact of the gun policy on the real world; Views on gun control measures; History of the gun control legislation.
- Guns r us. Buchsbaum, Herbert // Scholastic Update;2/11/94, Vol. 126 Issue 9, p18
Addresses the issue of gun violence and gun control. Statistical information on gun violence; Cases involving gun violence; Background information on gun ownership; Importance of a gun control; Correlation of gun control with gun violence Summary of views and comments on the issue.
- SCOPE OF EXISTING STATE FIREARMS LAWS. // Congressional Digest;Dec66, Vol. 45 Issue 12, p291
Focuses on scope of various state laws related to firearms control in the United States. Categorization of state firearms law in four classes; Description of these four classes of state firearms law; Provisions of the state laws related to firearms control.