The Restriction/Open Door Debate
- Coming to Connecticut: Immigrants in the Land of Unsteady Habits. STAVE, BRUCE M. // Connecticut History;Fall2010, Vol. 49 Issue 2, p201
The article discusses the history of immigrants in Connecticut, examining examples from New Haven, Hartford, and Danbury. It comments on early British immigration and considers the influx of Irish, Germans, Italians, French-Canadians and Jews in the nineteenth century. The author reflects on the...
- Response. Lee, Erika // Journal of American Ethnic History;Summer99, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p157
Comments on the assessments made by several sociologists and immigration historians on the trend in immigration history in the United States (US). Significance of the examination of immigration law in the US; Overview of laws and government policies on immigration around the world; Relationship...
- Immigration. // Monkeyshines on America;Nov2001 U.S. Events From 1920-1940, p15
Focuses on immigration in the U.S. in the nineteen twenties. Law passed in 1921 imposing quotas on immigration; Mexican laborers coming to the southwest U.S. in the nineteen twenties; Expansion of the membership of the Ku Klux Klan.
- Thomas Bailey Aldrich. // Modern American Poetry;1921, p7
The article offers a brief profile of poet Thomas Bailey Aldrich.
- A Nation of Immigrants--A World of Controversy. // Writing;Apr/May2000 Teacher's Edition, Vol. 22 Issue 6, p2
Presents a teacher's guide to teachers on the teaching of the history of immigration in the United States. Asking of students on their knowledge about immigration; Analysis of Emma Lazarus' poem at the Statue of Liberty; Absence of immigration laws in the US in the 1800s.
- Race, Nation, and Culture in Recent Immigration Studies. Sanchez, George J. // Journal of American Ethnic History;Summer99, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p66
Argues that the future of immigration history depends on the field's ability to incorporate the insights on race, nation, and culture that have primarily developed outside the field of immigration history in the United States. Social conditions of Asian immigrants; History of the law on...
- ILLEGAL ALIEN. SCOBEY-THAL, JAKE // Foreign Policy;Sep/Oct2014, Issue 208, p22
A timeline is presented of U.S. laws and events related to immigration, exclusion, and alien status.
- Immigration Through the Years. Soergel, Andrew // U.S. News Digital Weekly;1/30/2015, Vol. 7 Issue 5, p11
A quiz concerning the history of immigration in the U.S. is presented.
- Undocumented: How Immigration Became Illegal. // Publishers Weekly;1/20/2014, Vol. 261 Issue 3, p39
A review of the book "Undocumented: How Immigration Became Illegal" by Aviva Chomsky is presented.