Segregation by Sex Might Ease Fears of Racial Intermarriage
- In the press. Zink, Christy J. // Education Week;6/1/94, Vol. 13 Issue 36, p35
Discusses articles on education in the United States. Susan Estrich's argument for single-sex education in the May 22, 1994 issue of `The New York Times Magazine'; Segregation due to poverty and racial isolation in Jonathan Kozol's article in the May 23, 1994 issue of `The Nation'; James...
- Study Cites Flaws in Single-Sex Public Schools. Viadero, Debra // Education Week;05/30/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 38, p9
Reports the failure of the study on single-gender public schools in California. Effects of gender segregation in schools; Statement of Amanda Datnow, an assistant professor of educational administration at the University of Toronto's Ontario Institute for Studies in Education regarding...
- Let's Hear It for the Girls. Guernsey, Diane // Town & Country;Jan2004, Vol. 158 Issue 5284, p108
Provides information on several girls' schools in the U.S.
- Desegregation Statistics. // Education Digest;Jan1962, Vol. 27 Issue 5, p60
The article presents the statistical figures of desegregation in American schools. The South has 7.3 percent of its Negro enrolment attending public schools with whites this school year, according to the new edition of Statistical Summary, published by the Southern Education Reporting service....
- Giving Up On Integration. Zukosky, Jerome // New Republic;10/14/72, Vol. 167 Issue 14, p19
Focuses on integration of schools in the U.S. Efforts of Rochester's school boards regarding segregation problem and working toward systemwide integration; Boycott by pro- integration teachers closed schools and forced the school board to create community school councils for the nine African...
- Conscious education. Jung, Richard K. // Independent School;Spring95, Vol. 54 Issue 3, p80
Focuses on factors to consider in selecting the right type of school in the United States. Decline in the number of single-sex schools; Examination of co-education independent schools.
- Hillsborough, Fla., District Declared 'Unitary.'. Johnston, Robert C. // Education Week;03/28/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 28, p7
Announces the ruling of a federal court overturning the desegregation order in the Hillsborough County system in Florida. Court declaration that the system was free of racial segregation and was released from a 1971 desegregation order; Racial composition of Hillsborough County schools;...
- Should Boys and Girls Be Taught Separately? PIECHURA-COUTURE, KATHY; SHERWIN, GALEN // New York Times Upfront;11/18/2013, Vol. 146 Issue 5, p22
The article presents two different answers to a question on the need to teach boys and girls separately.
- At the crossroads. Viadero, Debra // Education Week;03/24/99, Vol. 18 Issue 28, p38
Recalls the long and tortuous route taken by the school district of Prince Edward County, Virginia to school integration. Decision to shut down schools, rather than mix races in 1954 after the United States Supreme Court ruled against segregation; District as among the most integrated in the...