The Immigration Question
- Three Years After Passing Its 'Papers, Please' Law, Arizona Is Divided by Distrust and Fear. Fernández, Valeria // La Prensa San Diego;4/5/2013, Vol. 37 Issue 14, p1
The article deals with the impact of the passage of the SB 1070 state immigration law in Arizona. According to community members and immigrant advocates who testified before a state civil rights board, the law has increased racial profiling and police mistrust. SB 1070 makes it mandatory for...
- Freedom ride takes 90-city tour. Guntzel, Jeff // National Catholic Reporter;10/17/2003, Vol. 39 Issue 44, p12
Reports on the progress of the Immigrant Workers Freedom Ride, a demonstration calling for Congress to take notice on immigrant rights and legal issues in the U.S. Estimates on the number of participants in the rally; Support of the Catholic Church; Total number of cities joining the rally.
- Register for Arrest? // Progressive;Feb2003, Vol. 67 Issue 2, p21
Presents a photograph of people demonstrating against U.S. immigration policies in Los Angeles, California.
- Arizona's Crafted Out of Bitterness, Racism. Gordon, Phil // Tennessee Tribune;4/29/2010, Vol. 21 Issue 17, p1A
The article reports on the aspect of the new U.S. Senate Bill 1070, an immigration bill which requires police officers to trample the civil rights of residents in Arizona on pursuit of illegal immigrants.
- CRITICS WILL LOOK FOR EVIDENCE OF ARIZ. IMMIGRATION-LAW VIOLATIONS. // Courts Today;Aug/Sep2012, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p4
The article examines the effects of Arizona immigration legislation provision that requires police officers to check immigration status of people they stop while enforcing laws and who they suspect are in the U.S. illegally, which the U.S. Supreme Court cited might lead to civil rights violations.
- Immigrant Workers Freedom Rides come to Queens. Allen, Zita // New York Amsterdam News;10/9/2003, Vol. 94 Issue 41, p3
On Saturday, October 4, despite an intermittent drizzle and a persistent chill, over 100,000 attended the Immigrant Workers Freedom Ride Rally and Festival in Meadow-Corona Park in Queens, New York. The rally marked the final stop on a two-week cross-country trek by 900 immigrants in a caravan...
- Groups sue over Georgia illegals law. // Hill;6/6/2011, Vol. 18 Issue 78, p10
The article reports that several civil rights groups have filed suits against Georgia's new immigration enforcement law.
- MAZE OF MYTHS. Wolf, Carissa // Boise Weekly;10/9/2013, Vol. 22 Issue 16, p11
The article focuses on the reaction of businesses and politicians on the Senate Bill 744 on immigration in Idaho. It is noted that opponents see the bill as a ticket to amnesty while proponents say passage could boost the economy, unite families and extend civil liberties to workers. According...
- Constructing America: Mythmaking in U.S. Immigration Courts. Mendelson, Margot K. // Yale Law Journal;Mar2010, Vol. 119 Issue 5, p1012
This Note argues that immigration courts have served and continue to serve as important sites for the perpetuation of national identity myths. By focusing on a subset of cases called "cancellation of removal," I examine the functional criteria by which immigrants are granted exemption from...