Room to Spare
- Notes and Documents. Blaufarb, Rafe // Alabama Review;Apr2003, Vol. 56 Issue 2, p104
Discusses a French consular reports on Vine and Olive Colony, an establishment founded by French immigrants in Alabama in early 1800s. Colony's nature and purpose; Historical and artistic value; Involvement of Napoleon Bonaparte's supporters in the establishment of the colony; Internal divisions.
- Immigrant Settlement Patterns in Metropolitan Chicago. Newbold, K. Bruce; Spindler, John // Urban Studies (Routledge);Oct2001, Vol. 38 Issue 11, p1903
The distribution of the immigrant population reflects a dynamic system that evolves over time and differs by arrival cohort and national origin. Government policies, new information, employment opportunities, housing, racism or other cultural effects may be responsible for subsequent migrations...
- SOUTHERN EXPOSURE. Jin Yongquan // New Internationalist;Jul2003, Issue 358, p4
Presents a photograph illustrating the migration of people from Chongqing Municipality to Chongmiong Island in Shanghai, China. Construction of the Three Gorges dam; Population capacity and ecology of the Yangtze River; Factor for the resettlement of the people.
- Working Together as Culture Brokers by Building Trusting Alliances with Bilingual and Bicultural Newcomer Paraprofessionals. Owen, Carol L.; English, Meme // Child Welfare;Sep/Oct2005, Vol. 84 Issue 5, p669
The authors' reflect on the challenges and rewards of partnering as casework supervisors with bilingual and bicultural newcomer paraprofessionals in resettlement work with refugee youth. Such individuals are generally recruited for their linguistic abilities and cultural knowledge, but they can...
- PEOPLE. // Background Notes on Countries of the World: Malawi;Jan2005, p3
Presents information on the people of Malawi as of January 2005. Information on the ancestral tribes of Malawi; Discussion on the migrations and tribal conflicts in the Malawian society; Settlement patterns of the Malawians.
- RAISING THE EFFECTIVENESS OF THE TERRITORIAL REDISTRIBUTION OF LABOR RESOURCES. Vechkanov, G. // Problems of Economics;Oct69, Vol. 12 Issue 6, p58
Examines the role of migration in the level of effectiveness of territorial redistribution of labor resources in Kazakhstan during the 1950s and 1960s. Origins of settlers in 1954-1966; Steps taken by the government to stimulate migration of personnel; Factors influencing settlers to stay put...
- CHAPTER ONE: Getting Ready. Kimball, Violet T. // Stories of Young Pioneers In Their Own Words;2000, p7
The article presents chapter one of the book "Stories of Young Pioneers In Their Own Words." It features the stories of the travelers from Independence, Missouri who gathered in a company to cross the Missouri River bound for Oregon. They rode in wagons in hope to find a better life off to the...
- Reinforcing Refugee Resettlement: An Introduction to Private Sponsorship and Partnerships. Simich, Laura // Journal of International Migration & Integration;Spring2003, Vol. 4 Issue 2, p154
The article presents comments of the author on the 2003 issue of "Journal of International Migration and Integration." According to the author, this special issue describes and analysis of Canada's heightened response to refugee resettlement in two particular periods: from 1979-1981, when the...
- Catch-22 for Exiles. Trammel, Madison // Christianity Today;May2006, Vol. 50 Issue 5, p20
The article reports on the status of 9,500 Burmese refugees whose resettlement to the U.S. was postponed indefinitely, as of May 2006. The refugees are members of a Christian minority in Burma who are suspected of providing material support to a rebel army, the Karen National Union. For more...