The investigation and management of obesity
- Physiopathology of prolactin secretion in obesity. Kopelman, P G // International Journal of Obesity & Related Metabolic Disorders;Jun2000 Supplement, Vol. 24, pS104
In many species prolactin is of biological importance and has a major role in determining the deposition and mobilization of fat. In human physiology, outside pregancy, prolactin secretion is altered by increasing body weight in both children and adults. Prolactin in this circumstance appears to...
- Sitosterolaemia: pathophysiology, clinical presentation and laboratory diagnosis. Kidambi, S.; Patel, S. B. // Journal of Clinical Pathology;May2008, Vol. 61 Issue 5, p588
Sitosterolaemia is an extremely rare autosomal recessive disease, the key feature of which is the impairment of pathways that normally prevent absorption and retention of non-cholesterol sterols, for example plant sterols and shellfish sterols. The clinical manifestations are akin to familial...
- Dementia: from muddled diagnoses to treatable mechanisms. Hachinski, Vladimir; Sposato, Luciano A. // Brain: A Journal of Neurology;Sep2013, Vol. 136 Issue 9, p2652
No abstract available.
- The role of the genetic factors in pathogenesis of hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. ENEVA, N. G.; NEFEDOVA, L. N.; LOKTIONOVA, A. S.; ILOVAISKAYA, I. A.; KIM, A. I. // Problemy Endokrinologii;2014, Vol. 60 Issue 6, p38
Modern diagnostics of hypogonadism is based on the results of X-ray and laboratory (biochemical) investigations that reveal the idiopathic form of the disease in the majority of the patients. However, the recent studies have demonstrated a number of genes, whose disturbed function may be...
- Morbus BehÃ§et - a rare disease in Central Europe. Woźniacka, Anna; Sysa-Jędrzejowska, Anna; Jurowski, Piotr; Jabłkowski, Maciej; Kot, Marek // Archives of Medical Science;Dec2015, Vol. 11 Issue 6, p1189
BehÃ§et's disease (BD) is a multiorgan inflammatory disease of complex and not entirely elucidated etiology, which was originally diagnosed in patients with aphthous stomatitis, genital ulcerations and ocular manifestations. The entity is endemic in countries of Eastern and Central Asia,...
- Anaphylaxis from atracurium without skin manifestation. Maitra, Souvik; Sen, Suvadeep; Kundu, Sudeshna (Bhar); Pal, Sugata // Journal of Anaesthesiology Clinical Pharmacology;Jan2014, Vol. 30 Issue 1, p104
Anaphylaxis is an acute, potentially fatal allergic reaction involving multi organ system that is triggered by a wide range of antigens with a subsequent release of chemical mediators from mast cells and basophils. Diagnosis is primarily clinical though laboratory studies are helpful in further...
- The deficits of matrigel plug assay. Kurt, Yasemin Gülcan; Cayci, Tuncer; Aydin, Fevzi Nuri; Agilli, Mehmet // Journal of Research in Medical Sciences;Oct2014, Vol. 19 Issue 10, p1018
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "Ghrelin does not modulate angiogenesis in matrigel plug (BD Biosciences) in normal and diet-induced obese mice" by Z. Tahergorabi and colleagues, published in previous issues of the journal.
- Adipose tissue dysfunction and impaired metabolic health in human obesity: a matter of oxygen? Goossens, Gijs H.; Blaak, Ellen E. // Frontiers in Endocrinology;Apr2015, Vol. 6, p1
The authors discuss aspects of human obesity, wherein they prove that adipose tissue dysfunction may be a key factor in pathophysiology of cardiovascular diseases in obese individuals.
- Evaluation and Treatment of Childhood Obesity. MORAN, REBECCA // American Family Physician;2/15/1999, Vol. 59 Issue 4, p861
Deals with the evaluation and treatment of childhood obesity. Importance of evaluating obese children; Treatment; Tips in dietary management.