- Experimental device may help harvest stem cells. // Ophthalmology Times;04/01/2001, Vol. 26 Issue 7, p63
Focuses on limbal stem cell harvester, a modified version of a microkeratome used to correct blindness developed by researchers at University of California-Irvine. Features of the device.
- Now stem cells offer hope against blindness. // Daily Mail;10/2/2014, p34
SCIENTISTS have found a possible treatment for the most common form of blindness using special stem cells found on the front surface of the eye.
- Grab a bag of stem cells. Coghlan, Andy // New Scientist;2/13/2016, Vol. 229 Issue 3060, p8
The article focuses on the importance of the development of stem cell therapy. Topics mentioned include the use of the stem cell therapy in pharmaceutical industry, the insights of Donna Skerrett, chief medical officer at regenerative medicine company Mesoblast, on the stem cell therapy, and the...
- Joey's Fight For Sight Inc. // Hudson Valley Business Journal;6/15/2009, Vol. 19 Issue 23, p5
The article offers information on Joey's Fight for Sight Inc.'s first roller skating benefit which will be held at Wood N Wheel in Port Ewen, New York on June 27, 2009. It states that the proceeds from the event will cover for the stem cell treatment of blind Joseph Simmons who was diagnosed...
- Glossary. // Congressional Digest;Oct2001, Vol. 80 Issue 10, p226
Defines terms used in stem cell research and embryonic stem cell research.
- Adult Stem Cells--Real Hope for the Future, Real Help for Patients Now. Prentice, David A. // National Right to Life News;Jan2011, Vol. 38 Issue 1, p5
This article looks forward to the future of research on embryonic stem cell. It criticizes embryonic stem cell research for not helping a single patient. It also offers an overview of three experimental trials approved in the U.S. that propose to utilize derivatives of embryonic stem cells to...
- Stem cell therapy: hope or hype? Braude, Peter; Minger, Stephen L.; Warwick, Ruth M. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);5/21/2005, Vol. 330 Issue 7501, p1159
Presents an editorial on how the safety and quality of stem cell therapy must be assured before the treatment can benefit patients. Potential of stem cell therapy to fight degenerative disorders, such as diabetes and heart disease; How the number of human embryonic stem cell lines increased...
- Vision of the Future. Duncan, David Ewing // Fortune International (Europe);10/29/2007, Vol. 156 Issue 8, p29
The article reports that the Prasad Institute, an eye institute in India has developed a way to grow new corneas from adult stem cells and restore sight to the blind. Developed by eye surgeon Virendar Sangwan and pathologist Geeta Vemuganti, the technique uses stem cells found in the tissues of...
- Lasers highlight policy blindspots. Fridling, B.E. // Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists;Jul/Aug1988, Vol. 44 Issue 6, p36
Discusses the wide uses of lasers, and how they can blind people. Fighting for international limits on the use of blinding lasers in warfare.