Single-gender academies generate long waiting lists
- The case for public single-sex education. Caplice, Kristin S. // Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy;Fall94, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p227
Discusses the advantages and disadvantages of single-sex education in the United States. Constitutional analysis of single-sex schools; Legitimacy; Intermediate scrutiny; Important state interest; Substantial relationship; Statutory analysis of Education Act Amendments of 1972; Equal Education...
- You Go, Girl! Dyer, Candice // Atlanta;Jun2001, Vol. 41 Issue 2, p14
Focuses on the educational program at the Atlanta Girls' School in Georgia. Advantages of all-girl schools; Mission of the school; School activities.
- All-girl school: Right or wrong? // Current Events;9/09/96, Vol. 96 Issue 2, p3
Discusses the advantages and disadvantages of single-sex public schools in the United States. Success of the Young Women's Leadership School (YWLS) in East Harlem, New York City; Studies showing the better performance of girls from an all-girl school; Opposition to the plans for other...
- Iowa officials told to halt single-sex programs. Ponessa, Jeanne // Education Week;6/12/96, Vol. 15 Issue 38, p7
Reports on the halting of single-sex education programs in Iowa. Legal problems; Granting of waivers of education-related regulations; Civil rights laws.
- Single-sex schooling. Schroeder, Ken // Education Digest;Oct98, Vol. 64 Issue 2, p72
Focuses on single-sex classes in the United States. Qualities of good education that focus on student achievement; Accusations of gender bias in coeducational classes; Advantages and disadvantages of single-sex education.
- Books. // Education Week;1/24/96, Vol. 15 Issue 18, p30
Reviews the books `Democracy, Education, and the Schools,' by Roger Soder, `Bayaka: The extraordinary music of the Babensele Pygmies,' by Louis Sarno and `Caring for Your School-Age Child: Ages 5 to 12,' by Edward Schor. Other books highlighted.
- Museum accessions. Gustafson, Eleanor H. // Magazine Antiques;Apr2002, Vol. 161 Issue 4, p34
Reports the discovery of a needlework of former student Charlotte Hopper Newcomb relevant to the history of Litchfield Female Academy in Litchfield, Connecticut. Discovery of portraits of Newcomb and her husband; Personal history of Newcomb; Offer of ornamental arts in the school.
- Dallas Considers Same-Sex Schools. // District Administration;Dec2002, Vol. 38 Issue 12, p13
Outlines the plans of the Dallas ISD to establish same-sex schools in an attempt to improve academics in Texas.
- Sometimes `equal' means `different'. Salomone, Rosemary G. // Education Week;10/08/97, Vol. 17 Issue 6, p44
Opinion. Justifies single-sex public education in New York City. Debate over the opening of the Women's Leadership School; Single-sex education's legal basis; Civil right groups' erroneous use of Title IX against single-sex education; Research findings on the significance of single-sex...
- The pros and cons of single-sex education. Bunting, Josiah; Watts III, Claudius // U.S. News & World Report;7/08/96, Vol. 121 Issue 2, p51
Presents a discussion on the issue of single-sex education. The recent Supreme Court ruling which will end the all-male public schools like the Virginia Military Insistute (VMI) and the Citadel; Benefits and disadvantages of single-sex education; Implications of the ruling. INSET: Lots on...