- The fallout from dumping workers. Dentzer, Susan // U.S. News & World Report;3/11/96, Vol. 120 Issue 10, p58
Looks at the economic effects of worker-layoffs by United States companies. Big job cuts in mid-1990s; Historical background of layoffs from the 1970s throughout 1990s; Reasons why big job cuts are getting more publicity in the 1990s; Why these cuts seem so jarring.
- Communication key to survivors of downsizing. Jacokes, Lee E. // Grand Rapids Business Journal;11/25/96, Vol. 14 Issue 48, p14
Focuses on the social aspects of downsizing. Emphasis on the humane transition of laid off personnel; Needs of laid off personnel; Benefits of providing counseling options to address career concerns.
- Curses and common courtesy. KORTE, MILLS // Fairfield County Business Journal;11/02/98, Vol. 37 Issue 44, p4
Opinion. Deals with the slow demise of common courtesy in the United States. Result of corporate downsizings and restructurings; Allotment of more work to people; Downside of shareholder-driven corporate profit strategies.
- From the board. Codd, Richard // Planning;May96, Vol. 62 Issue 5, p32
Focuses on the impact of corporate downsizing on job security in the United States. Issue's relevance during the 1996 Republican primaries; Impact on communities.
- How to fire people. Labich, Kenneth // Time International (South Pacific Edition);6/03/96, Issue 23, p58
Offers tips on how to handle dismissal of employees who are affected by corporate downsizing. Samples of corporate thoughtlessness in employee dismissal; Tips from human resources management experts; Importance of receiving feedback from employees; Importance of preparation and planning. ...
- Corporate anorexia a Dangerous Epidemic. Carpenter, Timothy R. // USA Today Magazine;Jul96, Vol. 125 Issue 2614, p36
Opinion. Argues that corporate downsizing is bad for American workers. Reasons for corporate downsizing; Psychology of those workers left after downsizing; Suggested ways to regrow corporations; How managers can deal with downsized workforces; Various strategies.
- The need to succeed. Beard, Thomas L. // Modern Machine Shop;Aug96, Vol. 69 Issue 3, p6
Focuses on the social effects of corporate downsizing. Possible increase in crime and welfare costs; German and japanese approaches to downsizing; Customer satisfaction as the ultimate goal.
- Beverage executives fair well in severance, survey finds. K.P.K // Beverage Industry;Nov95, Vol. 86 Issue 11, p20
Reports on the findings of a study on severance payments to different industry executives, according to outplacement consulting firm Lee Hecht Harrison of New York. Generous severance payments for food, beverage and tobacco employees; Benefits continuation; Medical benefits.
- Sweet so longs. // Restaurant Business;8/10/95, Vol. 94 Issue 12, p56
Focuses on the severance pay received by chief executive officers upon their dismissal from employment. Amount that a CEO could receive in terms of discharge benefits; Exit packages as a pre-condition of employment; Risk in taking a new assignment.