Cancer Stem Cell Camps
- Tricyclic antidepressants and the incidence of certain cancers: a study using the GPRD. Walker, A. J.; Card, T.; Bates, T. E.; Muir, K. // British Journal of Cancer;1/4/2011, Vol. 104 Issue 1, p193
Background:Several studies suggest links between cancer and tricyclic antidepressant use. Methods:A case-control study using the General Practice Research Database examined whether previous tricyclic usage was associated with reduced incidence of brain (with glioma as...
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences: New findings in breast cancer. // Biomedical Market Newsletter;4/21/2012, Vol. 21, p1
The article focuses on a research which found that luminal-likebreast cancer cells with no detectable stem cell qualities can generate larger tumors than their basal-like counterparts, a finding which could impact future breast cancer diagnosis and treatment.
- GROWTH INDUSTRY. Jonietz, Erika // Technology Review;Jan/Feb2002, Vol. 105 Issue 1, p24
Focuses on the issues relating to adult stem cells. Production of cells in repairing damaged organs and tissues; Use of living cells in patients with liver failure; Difficulty associated with mass-production of stem cells.
- Broccoli Compound Targets Breast Cancer Stem Cells. Dye, Dayna // Life Extension;Aug2010, Vol. 16 Issue 8, p14
The article discusses research which was conducted at the University of Michigan and found that a chemical compound called sulforaphane, which is found in broccoli and broccoli sprouts, targets breast cancer stem cells in cell cultures and in mice.
- EZH2 knockdown suppresses the growth and invasion of human inflammatory breast cancer cells. Zhaomei Mu; Hua Li; Fernandez, Sandra V.; Alpaugh, Katherine R.`; Rugang Zhang; Cristofanilli, Massimo // Journal of Experimental & Clinical Cancer Research (17569966);2013, Vol. 32 Issue 1, p1
Introduction: Inflammatory breast cancer (IBC) is the most metastatic variant of breast cancer with the poorest survival in all types of breast cancer patients and presently therapeutic targets for IBC are very limited. Enhancer of zeste homolog 2 (EZH2) is frequently expressed in human IBC and...
- Transient over-expression of estrogen receptor-Î± in breast cancer cells promotes cell survival and estrogen-independent growth/Effects of estrogen on the proportion of stem cells in the breast. // Current Medical Literature: Breast Cancer;2011, Vol. 23 Issue 4, p131
The article discusses the results of studies that examined the expression of estrogen receptor (ER)-alpha in breast carcinoma. It references two studies published in the "Breast Cancer Research and Treatment" journal. The first study investigated the effect of ER-alpha overexpression in the...
- Hold the Champagne. Healy, Bernadine // U.S. News & World Report;6/13/2005, Vol. 138 Issue 22, p71
Focuses on progress in breast cancer research and treatment. Evidence in the progress that publicly funded medical research works; Threat posed to women by metastatic breast cancer, and need to block cancer's ability to spread wildly; Evidence suggesting that stem cells gone bad may be the root...
- Interventions nutritionnelles et prï¿½vention tertiaire des cancers: mythes et rï¿½alitï¿½s. Zelek, L.; Escure, P. // Oncologie;Apr2008, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p238
Despite their heterogeneity, numerous studies suggest that lifestyle and diet might be involved in cancer recurrence. Data seems more robust in breast and colon cancer. Recently, two large randomized trials conducted in breast cancer patients confirmed the feasibility of dietary interventions...
- Automated inter-rater reliability assessment and electronic data collection in a multi-center breast cancer study. Soe Soe Thwin; Clough-Gorr, Kerri M.; McCarty, Maribet C.; Lash, Timothy L.; Alford, Sharon H.; Buist, Diana S.M.; Enger, Shelley M.; Field, Terry S.; Frost, Floyd; Feifei Wei; Silliman, Rebecca A. // BMC Medical Research Methodology;2007, Vol. 7, p23
Background: The choice between paper data collection methods and electronic data collection (EDC) methods has become a key question for clinical researchers. There remains a need to examine potential benefits, efficiencies, and innovations associated with an EDC system in a multicenter medical...