Recent Action in the Congress
- Group to monitor rules for saving accounts. Gardner, Jonathan // Modern Healthcare;12/4/95, Vol. 25 Issue 49, p42
Reports that Republicans of the US Congress are planning the implementation of Medicare medical savings account. Use of capitated government payment to join high-deductible private health insurance plans so that savings will be entered into the medical savings account; Arguments against the plans.
- AAO pleased with glaucoma benefit added to Medicare. Medeiros, Susanne // Ophthalmology Times;03/01/2001, Vol. 26 Issue 5, p16
Discusses an additional benefit to Medicare legislation in the United States which offered coverage for those at a higher risk of developing glaucoma including Afro-Americans. Services included in the coverage; Stark II physician self-referral ban; Provision requiring ophthalmologists to...
- Insurers win and lose in Congress. Fisher, Mary Jane // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;11/20/95, Vol. 99 Issue 47, p1
Reports on developments in the lobbying activities of insurers concerning provisions of the Medicare budget cuts affecting the insurance industry. United States Senate approval of the licensing of Provider Service Organizations (PSO); Tax bill agreement on COLI policies; Solvency standards for...
- Finding lock for trust fund. Gardner, Jonathan // Modern Healthcare;02/19/2001, Vol. 31 Issue 8, p44
Reports on a legislation that would bar Congress from intervening with the Medicare Part A trust fund to pay for spending or tax cuts in the United States. Overview of the legislation; Information on Medicare bills introduced by Senator John Breaux (D-La.) and Senator Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) on...
- New-Model Reimbursement. Halasey, Steve // Clinical Lab Products;May2014, Vol. 44 Issue 5, p6
The article discusses the creation of a market-based system for establishing the payments for all laboratory tests following the signing into law the Protecting Access to Medicare Act of 2014 by U.S. President Barack Obama in April 2014.
- Answer to your questions about... Davino, Margaret M. // Medical Economics;8/6/2004, Vol. 81 Issue 15, p17
Presents a question-and-answer advisory regarding the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act in the U.S. Difference between privacy rule and security rule; Exemptions from the security regulations; Provisions regarding the appointment of a separate security officer.
- Industry Wary On Medicare Prescription Drug Bill. Fisher, Mary Jane // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;4/26/99, Vol. 103 Issue 17, p1
States that health insurers are wary of the bill introduced in the United States Congress that seek to provide Medicare beneficiaries with a prescription drug benefit. Highlights on the bill; Sponsors of the bill.
- Medicare expansion unlikely to make it through Congress. Geisel, Jerry // Crain's Cleveland Business;06/26/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 27, p36
Reports on efforts of United States legislators to draft and reach an agreement on legislation that would expand Medicare to include coverage for prescription drugs. Introduction of a Medicare drug benefit package in which beneficiaries would receive coverage for certain expenses; Potential...
- LEGISLATIVE Scorecard. // Legal-Legislative Reporter;Jul2007, Vol. 41 Issue 7, p14
A list of proposed legislation of interest to the employee benefits industry as of July 2007 is presented including the Medicare for All Act, the Health Insurance for Life Act of 2007 and the Health Coverage, Affordability, Responsibility and Equity Act of 2007.