The impact on other public lands
- Obama's Budget Proposes To Increase Federal Lands Grazing Fee. // Beef Expert Blog;2/15/2012, p2
The article deals with the budget proposed by U.S. President Barack Obama which includes an increase in public lands grazing fee assessment. The increase in grazing fee is expected to force family-owned ranches to pay more to the federal government. According to Public Lands Council (PLC)...
- Bush's Forest Proposal Worries Rural Schools. Trotter, Andrew // Education Week;2/22/2006, Vol. 25 Issue 24, p35
The article presents information about a proposal of U.S. President George W. Bush of selling more than 300,000 acres of federal lands to finance federal payments for rural schools and counties, while moving to end an existing aid program. The proposal, contained in the administration's fiscal...
- The lay of the land. Mernin, Brendan; Monahan, Philip // Outdoor Life;Jan97, Vol. 199 Issue 1, p6
Asserts that the United States government's policy of trading land with industry and developers is fraught with peril for sportsmen. Conflict in the West between landowners' desire to generate revenue and the public desire for open space; Sponsorship of Snow Basin Land Exchange Act for skiing...
- Garfield County v. WHI, Inc.: Omen of change for public land access policy. Merritt, Laramie D. // BYU Journal of Public Law;1994, Vol. 8 Issue 1, p135
Discusses the case of `Garfield County v. WHI Inc.' regarding public land access policy and dispute settlement. Effects and desirability of the case in a historical and political context; Examination of the laissez faire approach which agencies, courts, and Congress have traditionally taken to...
- Now we know. // New Mexico Business Journal;Nov95, Vol. 19 Issue 11, p11
Reports on the percentage of federally owned lands in several states in the United States.
- West stages land rebellion. // Human Events;3/10/95, Vol. 51 Issue 9, p5
Reports on grassroots opposition in the West to the federal government's restrictions on the region's federal lands. Growing number of counties, states and citizens challenging the government's claims to run the areas; Government's destruction of local mining, ranching and logging industries;...
- Public lands belong to the U.S., court says. // Planning;May96, Vol. 62 Issue 5, p25
Reports on US Federal District Court Judge Lloyd George's ruling on the lawsuit filed by the United States federal government against Nye County, Nevada. Case background; Lawsuit's focus on federal government's ownership of public lands.
- Without Limitation. // Time;3/22/1954, Vol. 63 Issue 12, p31
The article reports on a decision by the U.S. Supreme Court which denied Rhode Island and Alabama from filing lawsuits that will contest the right of the U.S. Congress to assign land under U.S. coastal waters.
- Private use of public lands? Glick, Daniel // National Wildlife (World Edition);Jun/Jul97, Vol. 35 Issue 4, p46
Examines the concerns of conservationists relating to the use of public lands by private companies. Impact of this form of land use on wildlife and the environment; Strategies used by industries to acquire public land; Debate in the United States over this issue; Instances where persons or...