Mexican crisis prompts exodus to the border
- Peso decline drives more Mexicans across US border. Pendleton, Scott // Christian Science Monitor;2/3/95, Vol. 87 Issue 48, p3
Reports on the rise in illegal immigration from Mexico to US in the wake of the slump in the value of the Mexican Peso. Views of US Border Patrol agents on the rise in illegal immigration; Figures on apprehensions on the US-Mexico border and increase in patrolling; Views of economist Jorge...
- BUSH'S SPANISH LESSONS. Wolffe, Richard; Bailey, Holly; Thomas, Evan; Murr, Andrew; Clift, Eleanor // Newsweek;5/29/2006, Vol. 147 Issue 22, p24
This article discusses U.S. President George W. Bush's opinions on immigration reform and his personal experiences growing up in Texas with a Mexican immigrant for a nanny. Bush also hired a Mexican-born American citizen named Maria Galvan to nanny for his children and serve as a housekeeper....
- Some American border-dwellers say the US patrol is the... LaFranchi, Howard // Christian Science Monitor;2/20/96, Vol. 88 Issue 58, p10
Reports that some residents of San Diego believe the presence of United States patrol to be more problematic than illegal immigrants. Comments from Elizabeth Mills, San Diego resident, concerning practices of patrol; Response from US border patrol representatives; Details on clash between the...
- Crackdown on aliens. // Current Events;11/7/94, Vol. 93 Issue 9, p2
Reports that the U.S. border patrol has started a new drive against illegal entrants from Mexico along California. Expectation of massive arrests along main routes.
- Border 'coyotes' begin to turn tail. Baldauf, Scott // Christian Science Monitor;2/16/2000, Vol. 92 Issue 59, p1
Focuses on the success of Arizona's Border Patrol, which catches illegal immigrants as they try to cross the border into the United States.
- Soldiers of misfortune. Draper, Robert // Texas Monthly;Aug97, Vol. 25 Issue 8, p112
Questions why armed United States (US) military are patrolling the Texas and Mexico border along the Rio Grande. How Ezequiel Hernandez Jr., a civilian was killed by a US Marine in the town of Redford; Background on the victim; How the border is searched for drug smugglers; Reasons to carry...
- As '96 vote looms, US steps up patrols on Mexican border. LaFranchi, Howard // Christian Science Monitor;1/17/96, Vol. 88 Issue 35, p1
Reports that many illegal immigrants will have a harder time crossing the border in California and Arizona as of January 16, 1996. Hiring of more Border Patrol agents by the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS); Other measures implemented by the INS; When $500 million for...
- FSB controls border gaurds. // Russian Life;Apr98, Vol. 41 Issue 4, p4
Reports that the FSB is in control of Russia's border guard service. Penalty unsuspecting foreigners will have to face; Indication that any green-uniformed border guard at passport control and luggage inspection could be an FSB agent.
- House adds 600 to border patrol. // Human Events;8/28/93, Vol. 53 Issue 35, p19
Reports on the passage of an amendment that would provide 600 additional Border Patrol agents. Cost of additional number of agents; President Bill Clinton's call for an increase; Illegal immigration as a budget strain on California's social services and criminal justice system; Pressure from...