Poverty and reading age
- Fighting truancy with made-to-measure education. // UNESCO Courier;Feb99, Vol. 52 Issue 2, p16
Presents information on a program called El Abrojo launched by a group of teachers to fight illiteracy among poor children in Montevideo, Uruguay. Aim of the program; Success of the program; Award received by the scheme.
- Free voluntary reading and writing competence in Taiwanese high school students. Lee, Sy-Ying; Krashen, Stephen // Perceptual & Motor Skills;Oct96, Vol. 83 Issue 2, p687
Reports on a positive relationship found between measures of free voluntary reading and a measure of writing ability for high school students in Taiwan. Relationship to development of literacy; Effect of living in a print-rich environment; Predictors for writing competence.
- Relation of computer attitudes and computer attributions to enrollment in high school computer... Campbell, N. Jo; Williams, Janice E. // Journal of Research on Computing in Education;Spring90, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p276
Presents two exploratory path analyses of potentially relevant variable influencing both high school computer course enrollment and perceived computer efficiency. Computer knowledge as a filter limiting career choices; Explanation of variability of enrollment in computer courses; Computer...
- THE AUTHOR AND MAGAZINE RECOGNITION TESTS AS PREDICTORS OF LITERACY DEVELOPMENT IN KOREAN. Haeyoung Kim; Krashen, Stephen // Perceptual & Motor Skills;Dec98 Part 2, Vol. 87 Issue 3, p1376
Assesses whether the Author Recognition Test and Magazine Recognition Test would predict literacy development in Korean by testing 103 high school girls living in a middle-class neighborhood in South Korea. Relatio among the three measures of reading experience; Significant predictors of...
- FOREIGN EXCHANGE. Johnston, Robert C. // Education Week;06/06/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 39, p8
Reports on Guatemala's launching of a program requiring high school students to teach illiterate adults in the country. Challenges in overcoming illiteracy; Opposition against the program.
- Day-long school event raises Tibet awareness among Indians. // Tibetan Review: The Monthly Magazine on all Aspects of Tibet;Jan2010, Vol. 45 Issue 1, p19
The article reports that students and staff from Saraswathi Vidya Mandir High School have taken part in poem and essay competitions, photo exhibition and a film screenings which is intended for Tibet awareness in Dharamsala, India.
- Helping teens with financial literacy. Scwab-Pomerantz, Carrie // Free Press (Buda, TX);8/6/2008, Vol. 105 Issue 18, p1D
The article focuses on the National Financial Literacy Challenge sponsored by the U.S. Treasury Department provided for high school students to test them about financial basics.
- A Misdirected Push: College for All? Rothstein, Richard // School Administrator;Nov2006, Vol. 63 Issue 10, p6
The author reports that well-meaning experts wrongly insist that all students should prepare to attend college. Additionally, they say that college is needed to land good jobs and that schools fail disadvantaged youth who lack the qualifications and motivation for academic colleges. He explains...
- Age Trajectories of Poverty During Childhood and High School Graduation. Dohoon Lee // Sociological Science;Sep2014, Vol. 1, p344
This article examines distinct trajectories of childhood exposure to poverty and provides estimates of their effect on high school graduation. The analysis incorporates three key insights from the life course and human capital formation literatures: (1) the temporal dimensions of exposure to...