- Welsh reactor shuts for good. // New Scientist;7/24/93, Vol. 139 Issue 1883, p7
Reports on Nuclear Electric's permanent closure of its Trawsfynydd plant in North Wales, Great Britain. Discovery that the welds in the pressure vessels have become brittle in February 1991; Order for safety measures on the plant by the Nuclear Installations Inspectorate (NII).
- Taiwan's dragon boats acquire special dimension for civil engineering. Donkin, Richard // Chinatown News;10/3/94, Vol. 42 Issue 3, p12
Discusses the bidding for the Lungmen Island nuclear power plant project at Yenliao, Taiwan. Nuclear Electric, the United Kingdom's state-owned nuclear power company, one of the bidders; Its use of the ancient dragon boats as a symbol; Its sending of a dragon boat team to Taiwan to compete in...
- U.K. encloses plants for about 130 years. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;10/10/94, Vol. 233 Issue 15, p19
Reports on British government-owned Nuclear Electric PLC's plan to enclose the two shutdown units at its Trawsfynydd powerplant in Wales with new low-level buildings and completely dismantle them about 130 years later. Other projects of the company; Reasons behind the slow process;...
- Magnox plants may be reprieved. // New Scientist;8/10/91, Vol. 131 Issue 1781, p11
Reports that nuclear generator Nuclear Electric PLC insisted that all of its ageing Magnox stations would be safe and economic to run for up to seven years in Great Britain. Clearance required from the Nuclear Installations Inspectorate (NII) for the extended operation of the Magnox plants; ...
- Pollution inspectors get tough on Sizewell B. Webb, Jeremy // New Scientist;4/23/94, Vol. 142 Issue 1922, p8
Reports on Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Pollution's demand for justification of operation from electricity company Nuclear Electric. Reasons for HMIP's demand; Issuance of draft discharge limits; Nuclear Electric's arguments about Sizewell B's benefits; Financial cost of justification process.
- Nuclear certification. // Modern Power Systems;Jul95, Vol. 15 Issue 7, p11
Reports that the nuclear power stations at Hartlepool and Heysham in England have received the Environmental Management Certification to BS7750. Introduction of BS7750 by Nuclear Electric as a way of managing its environmental effects.
- Sizewell C application will pressurize nuclear review. // Modern Power Systems;Nov93, Vol. 13 Issue 11, p19
Reports on Nuclear Electric's planning application for the planned 2600 MWe two unit PWR power station Sizewell C in Great Britain. Scottish Nuclear's push for approval to build a similar sized plant at its Hunterton site; Need for the plants to replace the aging Magnox power plants; The...
- DMS system for nuclear power station. // Modern Power Systems;Apr94, Vol. 14 Issue 4, p78
Reports that computer system company Scomagg has completed work on a diagnostic and monitoring system (DMS) for Nuclear Electric at the Heysham nuclear power station in Lancashire in Great Britain. Use of DMS for unloading and transportation of radioactive fuel assemblies; Advanced Gas-colled...
- UK-US bid for Lungmen PWR. // Modern Power Systems;Feb94, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p9
Reports on the joint tender submitted by American firm Westinghouse and British utility Nuclear Electric in Taiwan for the construction of a nuclear power plant. Taiwan Power Co.'s call for the tenders for a unit at Lungmen.