Cyprus further eases capital controls
- Cyprus confirms it will sell some of its gold reserve. // Regional Today;04/18/2013, p5
The article reports that Cyprus plans to sell some of its gold reserve as of April 2013 but will have to get approval of the central bank according to Cypriot Finance Minister Haris Georgiades.
- Cyprus scraps post-bailout limits on cash withdrawals. // Regional Today;3/31/2014, p5
The article reports that Haris Georgiades, Finance Minister of Cyprus, announced on March 28, 2014 that Cyrus has abolished restrictions on cash withdrawals imposed in 2013 to avoid a run on the banks during bailout negotiations.
- A strategy for strengthening the national currency. Rogova, O. // Problems of Economic Transition;Oct97, Vol. 40 Issue 6, p35
Discusses the monetary policy of Russia. Disruption of the circulation functions of the national currency with the state's reform; Results of the disorganization of the payment system; Threat of nonpayments in the banking system; Reason for the ineffectiveness of measures to resolve the...
- West Africa. // Africa Report;May/Jun91, Vol. 36 Issue 3, p12
Reports that at a recent meeting in Dakar, Senegal, French Cooperation and Development Minister Jacques Pelletier announced that the CFA franc was not likely to survive the introduction of a single European currency. 14 francophone countries utilize the CFA as legal tender; Waning of the...
- Protection for the `northern peso'? Serres, Christopher // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;5/16/94, Vol. 21 Issue 22, p16
Argues that while Ottawa backed the establishment of a $9 billion pool of credit with the United States and Mexico ostensibly to prop up the wildly fluctuating peso, in reality Ottawa is just as much in need of a stabilization fund. Agreements already in place among the three nations' central...
- Global economic integration and monetary policy. Johnson, Manuel H.; Keleher, Robert E. // Business Economics;Jul91, Vol. 26 Issue 3, p21
Discusses changes facing monetary policymakers and the implications for contemporary monetary policy. Appropriate data as guides for monetary policy; Importance of a nominal anchor under a flexible exchange regime; Coordinating monetary policy among several countries.
- Monetary policy in a dynamic, global environment. Parry, Robert T. // Business Economics;Jan1996, Vol. 31 Issue 1, p18
Discusses the impact of the changes in technology and the surge in international trade on domestic monetary policy in the United States. Weakening of the Federal Reserve's ability to affect aggregate demand; Exposing US interest rates and monetary policy to undue influence from abroad; Breaking...
- Monetary policy objectives and strategy. Meyer, Laurence H. // Business Economics;Jan1997, Vol. 32 Issue 1, p17
Focuses on the challenges facing monetary policy in the current economic environment in the United States. Objectives of monetary policy; Nonaccelerating inflation rate of unemployment (NAIRU); Juggling of the goals of full employment and price stability in the short run; Taylor Rule;...
- Recent developments in Canadian monetary aggregates. // Bank of Canada Review;Spring94, p21
Focuses on the growth of monetary aggregates in Canada as leading indicators of economic activity in Canada. Deceleration of broad money growth in Canada; Reasons for further slowing of broad money; Information about broad money growth in relation to inflation; Growth of narrow money;...