Shutting the golden door
- What to do about immigration. Chavez, Linda // Commentary;Mar1995, Vol. 99 Issue 3, p29
Discusses reforms addressed to the policies governing legal and illegal immigration in the United States. Growth of resentment against illegal aliens; Measures taken by some states to bar illegal immigrants; Issues of entitlement and race; Problem of national identity; Central problem of the...
- Should the U.S. tighten its borders? // Junior Scholastic;12/8/95, Vol. 98 Issue 9, p11
Presents arguments for and against crackdowns on illegal immigration to the United States. Economic considerations; Disadvantages of illegal immigrants.
- The Crossing. Leduff, Charles // New York Times Upfront;9/3/2001, Vol. 134 Issue 1, p10
Relates efforts of illegal Mexican migrants to enter the United States border. Factors causing the migration; Actions taken by the government; Difficulties experienced by the migrants.
- Don't slam America's golden door. R.E.B. // U.S. Catholic;Nov93, Vol. 58 Issue 11, p2
Opinion. Asserts that reforms in the immigration policy of the United States should reflect the religious values of the nation's citizens. Author's feelings at first sighting of the Statue of Liberty; Immigration situation in the United States; Alleviation of the economies of the refugees'...
- Most GOP leaders still ignore immigration issue. Francis, Samuel // Human Events;9/22/95, Vol. 51 Issue 36, p20
Reports that the United States Congress has not enacted any measures to control the flow of illegal aliens into the country as of September 22, 1995. Congressional leaders' refusal to discuss any limitations on immigration; Calls for legislation controlling illegal immigration into the United...
- NYC Gang-Rape Underscores Widespread Problem of Foreign Thugs/ Botched Immigration System Spawns Alien Menace. O'Reilly, Bill // Human Events;1/20/2003, Vol. 59 Issue 3, p21
Criticizes the failure of the U.S. immigration system to address the threat posed by illegal aliens. Estimation of the number of illegal aliens in the country; Comments on the inability of the Border Patrol and the Immigration and Naturalization Service to control the influx of illegal aliens;...
- Government predicts mass migration. Gribbin, August // Insight on the News;06/07/99, Vol. 15 Issue 21, p42
Focuses on the migration of Central Americans toward the United States border. Shortage of Border Patrol agents in some areas; Severe shortage of detention facilities; Process of returning to Mexico any Central Americans who illegally cross the United States-Mexico border. INSET: Alien...
- Desperate to get to the US, Chinese and Indians were paying Gloria Canales up to $6,000. Hanson, Cynthia; McLaughlin, Abraham T. // Christian Science Monitor;12/27/95, Vol. 88 Issue 22, p2
Reports about the arrest of Gloria Canales accused of smuggling Indians and Chinese into the US through Central America borders in December 1995.
- Business faces a national worker registry. Miller, John J. // American Enterprise;Sep/Oct95, Vol. 6 Issue 5, p80
Discusses an idea that is sailing through Congress of creating a national identification system to monitor every single hiring decision made in the United States in efforts to fight illegal immigration. Statistics on illegal immigrants; Failure of employer sanctions to prevent hiring of illegal...