Under the influence
- A tale of two countries. Pope, Carl // Sierra;Sep/Oct94, Vol. 79 Issue 5, p16
Criticizes the United States government's regard of environmental protection as a political issue. Influence of money in politics; Declining trust of the people on the government; Establishment of campaign contribution laws.
- Rise of the small contributor. Feldmann, Linda // Christian Science Monitor;8/2/99, Vol. 91 Issue 172, p1
Focuses on the record number of individual donors to United States political campaigns as of summer 1999. Legal limit on individual contributions; Contributions to the campaign of George W. Bush; Impact of US economic strength on the number of people able to contribute; Other factors that have...
- WHEN BATHTUB CROCODILES ATTACK: THE TIMING AND PROPRIETY OF CAMPAIGNING BY JUDICIAL RETENTION ELECTION CANDIDATES. EARLEY, DAVID W. // New York University Annual Survey of American Law;2012, Vol. 68 Issue 2, p239
The article presents information on the set of rules that should be adopted to regulate judicial electioneering and evaluates whether judicial election candidates such as judges should campaign in context to opposition. It determines distinct fundraising and campaigning rules that exist among...
- Electoral Contests, Incumbency Advantages, and Campaign Finance. Meirowitz, Adam // Journal of Politics;Jul2008, Vol. 70 Issue 3, p681
Most campaigns do not revolve around policy commitments; instead, we think of campaigns as contests in which candidates spend time, energy, and money to win. This paper develops models of electoral competition in which candidates select levels of effort. The analysis offers insights about which...
- Campaign finance laws need revision. Kremer, Jerry // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);02/04/2000, Vol. 47 Issue 5, p55A
Calls for a revision of New York State's campaign finance laws. Political fund raising activities of Nassau County executive Thomas Gulotta; Reaction of potential donors to the Supreme Court decision upholding limitations on personal contributions to political campaigns; Defects of the New York...
- They Just Shouldn't Be Worth Very Much. Coulter, Ann // Human Events;05/21/99, Vol. 55 Issue 19, p6
Provides information on campaign finance reform bills in the United States. Aim of the bills; Sponsors.
- State law upheld; good news for Levitt. Hume, Lynn // Bond Buyer;01/25/2000, Vol. 331 Issue 30814, p4
Reports that the United States Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of a Missouri law limiting campaign contributions for state candidates. Summary of the decision; Case brief; Determinations in the lower courts.
- Take the Pain Out of Contributing. Wittenwyler, Mike B. // ABA Journal;Apr2000, Vol. 86 Issue 4, p76
Focuses on the issue on campaign finance laws in the United States. Significance of finances in election campaigns and turnout; Complexity in the legal aspects of campaign finance laws; Limits on political contributions from private corporations.
- The campaign-finance follies. Smith, Bradley A. // Commentary;Dec97, Vol. 104 Issue 6, p37
Focuses on regulations for campaign-finance in the United States. Factors that affect a legislator's voting record; Schemes offered by reformers aimed at preventing private citizens from demonstrating their commitment to democratic political change; How the First Amendment allows exposure of...