Globalization and Governance: The Prospects for Democracy
- Financial Globalization, the Democratic Deficit, and Recurrent Crises in Emerging Markets. Alper, C. Emre; Onis, Ziya // Emerging Markets Finance & Trade;May2003, Vol. 39 Issue 3, p5
Financial globalization offers both risks and benefits for countries of the semi-periphery or "emerging markets." Politics within the national space matters, yet acquires a new meaning, in the age of financial globalization. "Weak democracies" are characterized by limited accountability and...
- Earth Democracy. Shiva, Vandana // Tikkun;Jan/Feb2003, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p43
Provides information on earth democracy. Obstacles of democracy; Basic principles of the Earth Democracy Movement; Effect of corporate globalization on democracy; Commitments of the movement; Details of the resources destroyed by monoculturalism; Ways to avoid the spread of monoculturalism.
- American Freedom in a Global Age. Foner, Eric // American Historical Review;Feb2001, Vol. 106 Issue 1, p1
Deals with the concept of freedom in the United States (U.S.) in the midst of globalization. Historical perspective on global unity; Comparison between freedom in the U.S. and the outside world; Notion of freedom in the struggle for independence.
- 5. A Renewed Understanding of Globalization. // Chinese Education & Society;Jan/Feb2003, Vol. 36 Issue 1, p40
Reports on the role of individual countries to global integration. Differences in the understanding about the concept of globalization; Changes in the degree of civilization of humanity; Establishment of international mechanisms for peace and democracy.
- The Present State of the Movement and the Challenges We Face. Naylor, Karen // Canadian Dimension;Mar/Apr2002, Vol. 36 Issue 2, p36
Focuses on the contemporary international state of affairs. Outline of the fundamental weakness of American imperialism; Emergence of broad, united front movement against imperialism and war for democracy; Benefits of neoliberal globalization.
- Globalization and the Social Responsibility of the State in Developing Countries. Kazgan, G�ten // Social Development Issues;2001, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p4
Presents a lecture presented at the 12th International Symposium of IUCISD in Istanbul, Turkey from June 19 to 23, 2001. Historical overview of social responsibility of the state; Relationship between political democracy and the policies oriented to enhancing globalization and marketization in...
- The military threat to globalization. Field, Alan M. // Journal of Commerce (1542-3867);12/11/2006, Vol. 7 Issue 50, p6
The author dispels the belief that globalization was contrived by the U.S. to further its aims at the expense of the rest of the world. He cites that countless global companies are based and funded in Asia, Europe and Latin America. The greatest benefits from globalization are obtained during...
- Capitalism and democracy at a crossroads: the civilizational dimension. Özveren, Eyüp // Journal of Evolutionary Economics;2000, Vol. 10 Issue 1/2, p49
Abstract. This paper evaluates Schumpeter's grand vision as reflected in his Capitalism, Socialism and Democracy, and elaborates it in conjunction with the so-called "globalization" trends characteristic of the wake of the twenty-first century. In addition to the evolutionary nature of his...
- The Globalization of Politics/ American Foreign Policy for a New Century. Daalder, Ivo H.; Lindsay, James M. // Brookings Review;Winter2003, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p12
Provides information on the U.S. foreign policy. Focus of U.S. foreign policy during the 1990s; Increase in the country's defense spending; Challenges and opportunities that may be created by globalization; Significance of wise application of U.S. primacy; Strategies for ensuring that a...