America: Still a melting pot?
- The many faces of America: Immigration. // World Almanac for Kids;1996, p172
Discusses immigration to the United States. Reasons why people come to the US from other countries; Chart showing how many immigrants came from several different countries in 1994; Bar graph showing where most immigrants settle.
- Evolution of Policy. // Congressional Digest;Oct89, Vol. 68 Issue 10, p226
Discusses the evolution of United States immigration and naturalization policy since 1790. Numerical limits; Federal regulation; 1952 Immigration and Nationality Act.
- Summary Of The 1986 Act. // Congressional Digest;Oct89, Vol. 68 Issue 10, p227
Lists major provisions of Public Law 99-603, the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, with primary emphasis on legalization and employer sanctions.
- The case for more immigration. Wattenberg, B.J.; Zinsmeister, K. // Commentary;Apr90, Vol. 89 Issue 4, p19
Describes ramifications of Congress' attempt at a comprehensive update of United States immigration laws. Immigrant flows to the U.S.; Arguments against increased immigration; Immigrant culture and American identity; What immigrants bring to the country.
- A federal commission recommended. Coolidge, Shelley Donald; Mutch, David // Christian Science Monitor;6/9/95, Vol. 87 Issue 136, p2
Informs the recommendation to curb immigration arising due to less job opportunities by a federal commission.
- Debating immigration myths. Nowak, Mark W. // Christian Science Monitor;11/19/96, Vol. 88 Issue 248, p18
Opinion. Discusses the immigration policy in the United States (U.S.), and it's impact on the labor market, economy, and population. Relationship between immigration policy, and civil rights movement; Information on immigration to U.S. between 1965 and 1990; Result of immigration law of 1965.
- Understanding Asian families. // Children Today;Mar/Apr84, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p10
A Vietnamese perspective. Special insights into the childrearing practices, family relationships and value systems of Vietnamese families.
- Melting pot political stew. Paige, Sean // Insight on the News;04/20/98, Vol. 14 Issue 14, p45
Presents information on immigration in relation to politics and government in the United States. Reference to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS); Indication that thousand of immigrants were naturalized without adequate background checks; Steps taken by Michael Bromwich, inspector...
- Bringing the border war home. Garvin, Glenn // Reason;Oct95, Vol. 27 Issue 5, p18
Focuses on the issue of government policy toward illegal immigrants in the United States. Case of Cuban immigrant Lizbet Martinez; Economic costs of guarding against illegal immigrants; Proposals for a stronger role of the military in guarding the borders; Features of the Operation Gatekeeper...
- Proclamation 6958--suspension of entry as immigrants and nonimmigrants of persons who are members... Clinton, William J. // Weekly Compilation of Presidential Documents;11/25/96, Vol. 32 Issue 47, p2425
Presents the proclamation speech of United States President Bill Clinton on November 22, 1996 regarding the suspension of entry as immigrants and nonimmigrants of persons who are members or officials of the Sudanese Government or Armed Forces. Sudan's noncompliance to United Nations Security...