The case for a stimulus package
- Stimulus for who? Raul, Ron // East Bernard Express (TX);1/29/2009, Vol. 66 Issue 5, p4
The author reflects on the issues concerning the $825 billion economic stimulus package to be passed by the U.S. House of Congress.
- Anti-depression economics. Heilbroner, Robert // Atlantic (02769077);Apr93, Vol. 271 Issue 4, p100
Argues that the basic cause of the recession haunting our economy today is the same as one of the chief causes of the Great Depression--the lack of an agent of `transformational growth.' John Maynard Keynes' `General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money'; Macroeconomics and microeconomics;...
- The strategy morass. Mann, P. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;4/24/1989, Vol. 130 Issue 17, p9
Editorial. Discusses the lack of government strategy guiding the latest round of budget cuts and the three errors that undermine formation of US strategy.
- Economic growth and policy in the nineties. Darby, Michael R. // Business Economics;Jan1992, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p21
Discusses economic growth and policy in the United States in the 1990s. Long-run economic perspective; Underlying determinants of growth; Priorities of economic policy; Price stability; Deficit reduction and the role of national saving; Investment in human capital.
- Statistics corner: Revising classifications of economic activity. Duncan, Joseph W. // Business Economics;Jan1992, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p58
Discusses federal government efforts to revise the classification system used for measuring economic activity in the United States. Census Bureau's sponsorship of an International Conference on the Classification of Economic Activity in Williamsburg, Virginia on November 6-8, 1991; History of...
- A national savings plan. Brimmer, A.F. // Black Enterprise;Oct90, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p35
Analyzes President George Bush's proposed `Family Savings Accounts' (FSAs) as a means of improving the national savings rate. How FSAs would work; Savings impact on the economy; Effect on the growing deficit; Flaws in the proposal.
- Commercializing foreign policy? Nivola, Pietro S. // Brookings Review;Spring97, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p36
Views the American trade policy of the Clinton administration. Myth of commercial martyrdom; Clinton trade policy; Litmus test of the Clinton trade policy; Trade policy in the mid-1990s; Bad news of the trade policy in 1990s; Signs of changes on the Clinton trade policy; Role of commercial goals...
- The Month in Congress. // Congressional Digest;Mar1989, Vol. 68 Issue 3, p65
Presents excerpts from President George Bush's budget proposals made during a joint session of Congress on February 9, 1989.
- Evolution Of Legislation. // Congressional Digest;Nov89, Vol. 68 Issue 11, p258
Traces the legislative efforts to control the Federal deficit from 1917 to 1989, beginning with the Second Liberty Bond Act, through the New Deal, to Gramm-Rudman-Hollings.
- The Budget Process. // Congressional Digest;Nov89, Vol. 68 Issue 11, p261
Explains congressional budget and deficit control procedures which have been excerpted from `The Congressional Budget Process' prepared by the Senate Budget Committee. Gramm-Rudman-Hollings Act; Budget process timetable for Fiscal 1989-1993; Characteristics of the budget process.