On Thin Ice
- Ice be damned! // Eastern Door;3/22/2013, Vol. 22 Issue 11, p15
A photograph is presented of Canadian Coast Guard icebreaker vessel Martha L. Black.
- CORRECTION. // U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings;Jan2016, Vol. 142 Issue 1, p8
A correction to the article in December 2015 issue is presented in which the Coast Guard icebreaker USCGC Polar Star (WAGB-10) misidentified as the USCGC Healy (WAGB-20).
- NEW APPLICATIONS OF HIGH-REPETITION-RATE PULSE-PERIODIC LASERS IN THE ARCTIC. Apollonov, V. V. // Scientific Israel: Technological Advantages;2015, Vol. 17 Issue 3/4, p133
The paper discusses the application of high-power lasers to break the ice cover cover (up to several meters in height) around such engineering structures as oil platforms and icebreakers. The most effective in this case is the joint application of high-power lasers and icebreakers in the...
- NOTAM 0/3481 Deepwater Horizon. Gray, Pat // Rotor & Wing;8/15/2010, Vol. 44 Issue 8, p5
The article reports on the current notice to airmen (NOTAM) establishing the temporary flight restrictions (TFRs) over Gulf of Mexico regarding the British Petroleum (BP) oil spill. It states that as the NOTAM was complex the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the U.S. coast guards...
- A joint House-Senate. MacLachlan, Suzanne; Mutch, David // Christian Science Monitor;6/2/95, Vol. 87 Issue 131, p2
Reports on a joint House-Senate committee working on a budget bill allowing oil drilling in a nonwilderness section of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska.
- Rig use soars worldwide. George, Dev // Offshore;Aug95, Vol. 55 Issue 8, p10
Reports on the increased utilization of offshore rigs. Factors contributing to the rising day rates.
- Rig newbuilds almost nigh. George, Dev // Offshore;Apr96, Vol. 56 Issue 4, p10
Reports on the increasing difficulty in finding available drilling rigs. Ways to cope with high demands for oil rigs; Problem posed by low day rates which do not justify newbuilds; Rising gas demands in the United States and other regions of the world.
- West African deepwater rig demand at highest. Akani, Fred // Offshore;Aug96, Vol. 56 Issue 8, p26
Reports on increased deepwater rig demand in West Africa in May 1996.
- Ursa largest in Gulf. Von Flatern, Rick // Offshore;Sep96, Vol. 56 Issue 9, p28
Reports that the offshore oil rig URSA developed by Shell will be the largest platform structure in the US Gulf of Mexico.