Are carbon offsets off the agenda?
- Offset your emissions. Pearce, Fred // New Scientist;9/19/2009, Vol. 203 Issue 2726, p35
The article focuses on carbon offsetting, the scheme that enables an individual to offset or redeem his or her carbon-intensive activities. Information is presented on the pros and cons of three general approaches to carbon offsetting, including investing in projects that directly cut emissions,...
- Media Watch. Kramer, Ted // Ecodate;Aug2011, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p9
The article offers information on the Clean Energy Future package of which according to the ClimateWorks Australia is better that the old Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme (CPRS). It notes that the new package would achieve an extra of 63 million tonnes of abatement on the 58 million tonnes of...
- Staying Grounded. Frid, Alejandro // E THIS WEEK;11/25/2012, p9
The article offers information on climate scientist Kevin Anderson, who has challenged carbon offsets by refusing to fly. It states that he has self-imposed a ban on flying since seven year, which is still continuing. It mentions that according to Anderson, carbon offsets are flawed because...
- Emissions 'to fall despite flight rise' Gray, Chris // Travel Trade Gazette UK & Ireland;12/19/2008, Issue 2847, p26
The article presents the research of Sustainable Aviation on the carbon emissions of airlines. The study reveals that carbon emissions will decline by 2050 though the industry grows as expected over the next 40 years. It predicts that the emissions will peak by 2020, but will decrease back to...
- carbon diet update. O'mara, Peggy // Mothering;Jul/Aug2008, Issue 149, p28
The article focuses on the efforts done to reduce carbon footprint.
- No rush to join the CRC. // Process Engineering;Sep/Oct2010, Vol. 91 Issue 5, p6
The article reports on the 1,398 companies from the 5,000 organizations, which have signed up in the Carbon Reduction Commitment (CRC) in Europe.
- China's Emissions Cut. // Solutions: For a Sustainable & Desirable Future;Mar/Apr2010, Vol. 1 Issue 2, p7
The article informs that China has released its first carbon intensity target that is intended to slow the increase of emissions relative to economic growth by 40-50% from 2005 levels by 2020.
- BA denounces EC carbon trading plan. // Travel Trade Gazette UK & Ireland;5/30/2008, Issue 2819, p4
The article reports that British Airways Chief Executive Officer Willie Walsh has written a protest to the European Commission (EC) concerning EC plans for a European aviation carbon trading scheme. Comments from Walsh regarding the high oil prices and the impact they have on the aviation...
- Business sector embraces forest carbon offsets. // ENDS (Environmental Data Services);May2010, Issue 424, p18
The article discusses a report published by carbon market specialists Ecosecurities in May 2010 which surveyed 207 European firms that bought a total of 7.9 million tonnes of carbon dioxide in 2009 revealing that nearly 80% of the respondents have warmed to the concept of forest carbon offsets.