Shareholder resolution a success
- Are the Czechs Prague-Matic? Zuzowski, Robert // East European Quarterly;Winter99, Vol. 33 Issue 4, p475
Explains why the Czech Republic is the least understood and the most under-appreciated among all East European states. How the Czech Republic was formed from Czechoslovakia; Overview of the Czechoslovak economy; Difference of Czech legacy from other European countries; Association between...
- Justice deals prompt calls for reform. Ward, Ken // Las Vegas Business Press;12/22/97, Vol. 14 Issue 51, p1
Reports that business leaders in Las Vegas, Nevada are supporting a reform of the political code of ethics in the city. Flaws in the implementation of Disadvantaged Business Enterprises program; Absence of rule which prevents lobbying of election strategists; Reason for increasing regulations...
- The peace thing. Ehrenreich, B. // Mother Jones;Sep89, Vol. 14 Issue 7, p9
Opinion. Presents satirical, imaginary scenarios, between the author and top political leaders, on US response to Soviet reforms.
- Ethics: Checks and balances. Barcott, Jane // Spectrum: Journal of State Government;Winter93, Vol. 66 Issue 1, p32
Argues against the system of a centralized ethics agency with jurisdiction over all branches of government. Disadvantages of the system; Potential for abuse; Core values of public service.
- Hiring your supervisor's friend. Killilea, Alfred G. // PA Times;Jun98, Vol. 21 Issue 6, p8
Presents the dilemma of a public administrator of whether he should hire a friend of his supervisor. Rank of the friend according to the selection process; Telephone call received from the supervisor vouching for the friend.
- Will Congress come clean? Denny, J. // Common Cause Magazine;Jul/Aug89, Vol. 15 Issue 4, p39
Reports that Congress is expected to enact some kind of ethics reform this year and what measures must be taken to insure meaningful and effective change.
- Showdown time. Wertheimer, F. // Common Cause Magazine;Sep/Oct89, Vol. 15 Issue 5, p41
Explains why Common Cause's long-fought battle for campaign finance and ethics reform is entering a critical period. Legislation to challenge the influence money system in Washington coming up; Explains system; Unusual legislative situation this time around because recommendations will emerge...
- Grassroots action. Garcia, E.D. // Common Cause Magazine;Sep/Oct89, Vol. 15 Issue 5, p42
Details actions of Common Cause activists' across the country to win support for fundamental campaign finance and ethics reforms. Cites specific examples from Kansas, Tennessee, Nebraska, California, and Texas; Efforts in Washington handing out flyers; Gives names of some senators and...
- What you can do to help clean up Congress. // Common Cause Magazine;Sep/Oct89, Vol. 15 Issue 5, p44
Presents suggestions on what readers can do to help clean up Congress. Includes: write to Speaker Tom Foley, contact your members of Congress, visit the press, call a radio talk show.