Arctic drilling: now the climate changes
- Cold comfort for coral as oil wells advance. Edwards, Rob // New Scientist;06/07/97, Vol. 154 Issue 2085, p10
Focuses on the damage done to coral reefs by oil drilling projects in the North Atlantic. Environmental impact of oil development; Mapping of the presence of the cold-water coral; Opposition from the group Greenpeace.
- Ranger Rick's ADVENTURES. BISHOP, GERRY // Ranger Rick;Sep2012, Vol. 46 Issue 8, p20
The comic strip "Ranger Rick's Adventures" is presented in which issues such as offshore oil drilling, shipping noise and whale advocacy are discussed.
- `Land Ho' for sludge-filled oil rig in the North Sea. MacLeod, Alexander // Christian Science Monitor;6/22/95, Vol. 87 Issue 145, p6
Reports on the victory of Greenpeace and other environmental activists in preventing the Brent Spar oil rig with its 100 tons of poisonous sludge being dumped into sea off the coast of Scotland. Financial loss to Shell Oil and other oil companies due to the limitation on offshore disposal...
- Coral in deep water. Roberts, Murray // New Scientist;09/20/97, Vol. 155 Issue 2100, p40
Focuses on Greenpeace's efforts to protect the deep-water coral Lophelia pertusa on the continental shelf off Scotland from exploration activities by oil companies. Plans to file a lawsuit against the British government for failing to protect the coral under the European habitats directive;...
- Coastal impact fund helps restore marine habitats. Steindorf, Sara // Christian Science Monitor;7/12/2001, Vol. 93 Issue 159, p12
Reports on money provided by the Coastal Impact Assistance Program and the United States Department of Commerce to assist coastal states and cities which have suffered environmental damage from Outer Continental Shelf oil and gas activities.
- DRILLING & PRODUCTION. Beaubouef, Bruce // Offshore;Sep2016, Vol. 76 Issue 9, p24
The article reports on the environment plan submitted by petroleum company BP PLC for the offshore drilling explorations in South Australia and the contract signed by oil and gas company China National Petroleum Corp. Offshore Engineering Co. for its semisubmersible D90 1# drilling rig.
- Arctic oil drilling: a risky choice. Steiner, Rick // Ecologist;Nov2011, Vol. 40 Issue 29, p2
The author reflects on the dangers of deepwater drilling. He notes that the dangers of deepwater drilling came to the forefront following the 2010 BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. He discusses the high-risk environment of the Arctic Ocean, including the impact from each...
- Drill Baby Drill? Migliore, Matt // Flow Control;Jun2010, Vol. 16 Issue 6, p4
In this article, the author offers his views on the strategy to cease the occurrence of the BP PLC oil leakage in the Gulf of Mexico. He notes that the strategy works by pumping heavy drilling fluids at the Deepwater Horizon offshore drilling site. He mentions that the process is important since...
- Protecting the acoustic conditions at Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve. Turina, Frank // Park Science;Winter2009, Vol. 26 Issue 3, p1
The article presents a case study on the protection of the acoustic conditions at the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve. It says that U.S. District Court Judge Walker Miller ordered to cease any oil and gas drillings adjacent to the park in relation to the petition of local...