Bias in the Legal System? An Essay on the Eligibility of Undocumented Immigrants to Practice Law
- Airline & Travel News - Destination News: Greek Police Arresting And Beating Tourists. // AirGuide Online.com;2/24/2014, p2
The article reports on the step-up efforts of Greek police to arrest illegal immigrants.
- Criminal Justice Globalized. GOLD, GENEVIE // Student Lawyer;Mar2013, Vol. 41 Issue 7, p35
The article discusses the importance of international criminal justice for American judges, juries and lawyers as the world is seeing increased movement of businesses and people across the borders.
- CITIZEN JUDGES IN JAPAN: A REPORT CARD FOR THE INITIAL THREE YEARS. Plogstedt, Antoinette // Indiana International & Comparative Law Review;2013, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p371
The article focuses on the comparative and historical evaluation of the reformed Japanese criminal jury system and explores the political and economic climate influencing the many Japanese judicial reforms. It mentions that key issues concerning courts, police conduct, prosecution, legal...
- Saber-Rattling and the Sound of Professional Responsibility. Richmond, Douglas R. // American Journal of Trial Advocacy;Mar2010, Vol. 34 Issue 1, p27
Lawyers threatening criminal prosecution or professional discipline against other parties, in order to gain an advantage, is occurring with increased frequency. While the threat of criminal or disciplinary action is proper in some circumstances, there are other times where attorneys cross the...
- Marketing justice. Gates Jr., Henry Louis // New Yorker;02/24/97, Vol. 73 Issue 2, p11
Opinion. Speculates on the function of jury trials worldwide. Use of chicken in gaining justice in the Azande of Sudan; Misconceptions on the citizen jury as the most reliable means of determining guilt or innocence; Accuracy of Europeans' fact-finding; Uniformity in sentencing; Lack of...
- Prison Law: Isle of Wight Style By Solicitor Robert Twell. Twell, Solicitor Robert // ConVerse;Aug2011, p20
The article discusses the author's experience as a criminal solicitor in London, England. He elaborates his usual trip to the Magistrates Courts and local police station to do criminal law-related works. The author shares his experience in offering a national service and act of clients in many...
- Jury trial threshold debate unlikely to be settled in 2003 session. Butler, Elisabeth // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);6/16/2003, Vol. 23 Issue 51, p7
Reports on the progress of the legislative bills aiming to change the jury trial threshold for civil lawsuits in Louisiana. Total number of bills filed; Implications of the bill for the legal profession; Citations of the legislators supporting the bills.
- A new peremptory inclusion to increase representativeness and impartiality in jury selection. Meyer, Donna J. // Case Western Reserve Law Review;Fall94, Vol. 45 Issue 1, p251
Proposes a new peremptory inclusion which provides a mechanism for the criminal defendant to create a more representative jury without violating any prospective juror's right against discriminatory exclusion. Review of the jury system in the United States; Source and harm of racial...
- Illegal immigrants arrested, charged. // Granite City Press-Record;10/12/2011, Vol. 53 Issue 76, pA2
The article reports on the move by a federal Grand Jury in the Southern District of Illinois to indict five arrested illegal immigrants in the state, including Rufino Torres-Herrera, Ramon Ortiz, and Juan Salinas-Gonzales.