Finding funding for China's HIV research
- An HIV epidemic is ready to emerge in the Philippines. Farr, Anna C.; Wilson, David P. // Journal of the International AIDS Society;2010, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p1
Background: The state of the HIV epidemic in the Philippines has been described as "low and slow", which is in stark contrast to many other countries in the region. A review of the conditions for HIV spread in the Philippines is necessary. Methods: We evaluated the current epidemiology, trends...
- Targeting the hotspots: investigating spatial and demographic variations in HIV infection in small communities in South Africa. Wand, Handan; Ramjee, Gita // Journal of the International AIDS Society;2010, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p1
Background: In South Africa, the severity of the HIV/AIDS epidemic varies according to geographical location; hence, localized monitoring of the epidemic would enable more effective prevention strategies. Our objectives were to assess the core areas of HIV infection in KwaZulu-Natal, South...
- HIV prevention with drugs: Recent PrEP news a disappointment. VÁZQUEZ, ENID // Windy City Times;5/4/2011, Vol. 26 Issue 31, p14
The article discusses the results of a study on the use of HIV drug Truvada as a pre-exposure prophylaxis, conducted by Family Health International (FHI).
- Introducing the issue on "Differential use of CCR5 versus CXCR4 by HIV-1. Pathogenic, Translational and Clinical Open Questions". Poli, Guido; Buonaguro, Luigi // Journal of Translational Medicine;2010 Supplement 1, Vol. 9 Issue Suppl 1, p1
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the issue on topics including biology of HIV-1 coreceptors, chemokine entry co-receptors and interaction between HIV and its host target cells.
- lRecent multiple sexual partners and HIV transmission risks among people living with HIV/AIDS in Botswana. Kalichman, Seth C.; Ntseane, Dolly; Nthomang, Keitseope; Segwabe, Mosarwa; Phorano, Odireleng; Simbayi, Leickness C. // Sexually Transmitted Infections;Aug2007, Vol. 83 Issue 5, p371
Background: HIV prevalence in Botswana is among the highest in the world and sexual networking patterns represent an important dimension to understanding the spread of HIV/AIDS. Aim: To examine risk behaviour associated with recent multiple sexual partnerships among people living with HIV/AIDS...
- Implementation and evaluation of an isoniazid preventive therapy pilot program among HIV-infected patients in Vietnam, 2008-2010. Thuy T. Trinh; Dien T. Han; Bloss, Emily; Thai H. Le; Tung T. Vu; Anh H. Mai; Nhung V. Nguyen; Long T. Nguyen; Sy N. Dinh; Whitehead, Sara // Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene;Oct2015, Vol. 109 Issue 10, p653
Background: WHO recommends screening for TB and evaluation for isoniazid preventive therapy (IPT) based on evidence that they reduce TB-related morbidity and mortality among HIV-infected persons. In Vietnam, an IPT pilot was implemented in two provinces; TB screening, treatment and outcomes were...
- Management of the HIV epidemic in Nicaragua: the need to improve information systems and access to affordable diagnostics. Espinoza, Henry; Sequeira, Magda; Domingo, Gonzalo; Amador, Juan José; Quintanilla, Margarita; Santos, Tala de los // Bulletin of the World Health Organization;Aug2011, Vol. 89 Issue 8, p619
In this article the authors discuss an increase in HIV infection which has been seen in Nicaragua in 2009 and 2010 and the factors, including low rates of condom use, gender norms which accept unsafe sex among men and a lack of affordable diagnostic tools, which have contributed to the increase....
- Hospitals seek opportunities from comparative effectiveness research. // AHA News;3/8/2010, Vol. 46 Issue 5, p6
The article reports on the opportunities and challenges for hospitals presented by the 1.1 billion U.S. dollar funding for comparative effectiveness research.
- Biomedical funding may be more stable than other research areas. Baker, Beth // BioScience;Apr95, Vol. 45 Issue 4, p250
Reports on the probability of better funding for biotechnology and biomedical research as compared to other programs in the United States.