The Effectiveness of South Africa's Immigration Policy for Addressing Skills Shortages
- The Effectiveness of South Africa's Immigration Policy for Addressing Skills Shortages. Rasool, Fatima; Botha, Christoff; Bisschoff, Christo // Managing Global Transitions: International Research Journal;Fall2012, Vol. 10 Issue 3, p399
South Africa is presently experiencing a serious shortage of skilled workers. This situation is negatively influencing the economic prospects and global participation of the country. The primary purpose of the study was to determine the effectiveness of sa's immigration policy to support skills...
- The nature, extent and effect of skills shortages on skills migration in South Africa. Rasool, Fatima; Botha, Christoff J. // South African Journal of Human Resource Management;Mar2011, Vol. 9 Issue 1, p113
Orientation: South Africa is currently experiencing a serious shortage of skilled workers. It has a negative effect on South Africa's economic prospects and on global participation in South Africa (SA). This skills shortage severely affects socioeconomic growth and development in SA. Research...
- Developing a Competitive Skills Immigration Policy for South Africa. Rasool, F.; Botha, C. J. // Sosyal Bilimler Dergisi/Journal of Social Sciences;May2014, Vol. 39 Issue 2, p225
Since skills shortages is a global phenomenon, there is fierce competition amongst countries to attract skilled labour so as to improve their competitive footing in the global economy. One major way that these countries strive to achieve their goal, is through promoting targeted skills...
- Boom on hold. Snell, Paul // Supply Management;7/19/2007, Vol. 12 Issue 15, p31
The article examines whether a skills shortage could hamper South Africa's plans to sustain its economic growth. It discusses the key factors contributing to the economic growth of South Africa. The article reveals that purchasing is an area with a shortage of capable professionals in the...
- Economic failure fuels SA emigration. Preece, Howard // Finance Week;11/2/2001, p43
Focuses on the effect of economic failure in the emigration in South Africa. Discussion on brain drain; Need for examination on the causes and effects of emigration; Shortages in the skills in South Africa.
- The immigrant guessing game. Bernstein, Anne; Schlemmer, Lawrence // Finance Week;03/24/2000, p25
Focuses on illegal immigration in South Africa and the government's policy in curbing it. Move towards an open policy on legal, skilled immigration; Rationale for the move; Contribution of immigrant skills to South Africa's global competitiveness; Necessity of defining immigrant contributions.
- Bias worsens job crisis. Rana, Eila // People Management;5/25/2000, Vol. 6 Issue 11, p15
Deals with the effect of the prejudices of Irish employers on labor and skills shortages in the country. Emergence of ethnic diversity in the workplace; Need for employers to address the issue of immigrant workforce; Impact of the labor shortages on the recession experienced by the country.
- UNIVERSITY ASSISTANCE. van Zyl, Johann // Finweek;11/13/2008, p55
The article reports that 3.2 billion Rand will be given to universities in South Africa through the financial years 2010 to 2011 and 2011 to 2012. The funds will be used to offer more skills-training projects to students and address the problem of skills shortage in South Africa. Also cited are...
- End poaching in South Africa. // Recruiter;2/4/2009, p16
In this article the author discusses of the policy of not seeking to recruit staff from South Africa for Great Britain. He says that South Africa has staffing shortages and need more qualified professionals. He suggests the recruiters to stop targeting skilled staff from South Africa and must...