Literacy and literacy training of francophones in Canada
- PEOPLE. // Background Notes on Countries of the World: Republic of Seychell;Jul2008, p2
The article offers the background of the people of Seychelles. It states that there is an estimated 82,247 total population as of 2008. It also mentions that an estimated 90% of the Seychellois people, who are descendants of French and African settlers in the 19th century, have dwelt on Mahe...
- Chapter 6: VERNACULAR INSTRUCTION AND BI-LITERACY DEVELOPMENT IN FRENCH CREOLE SPEAKERS. DUTCH, BERBICE; SIMMONS-MCDONALD, HAZEL // Exploring the Boundaries of Caribbean Creole Languages;2006, p118
Chapter 6 of the book "Exploring the Boundaries of Caribbean Creole Languages" is presented. It discusses the vernacular instruction and bi-literacy development in French Creole speakers. It also examines the conceptual model for the French Creole component and provides a comparison of the...
- Digital Skills Are Key. French, Richard // ITNOW;Mar2014, Vol. 56 Issue 1, p55
Almost every job relies on some aspect of technology whether it's sitting at a PC in an office, working at a checkout or delivering parcels. Richard French of BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT, looks at digital literacy as an employability skill.
- PEOPLE. // Background Notes on Countries of the World: Monaco;April 2005, p3
The article presents information about the people of Monaco. In 2001, Monaco's population was estimated at 32,020, with an estimated average growth rate of 0.46%. French is the official language; English, Italian and Monegasque also are spoken. The literacy rate is 99%.
- Becoming the Dictionary Lady. McFann, Jane // Reading Today;Dec/Jan2003, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p30
Features Mary French, who is known as the Dictionary Lady of South Carolina, and her Dictionary Project. Original inspiration of French for her dictionary project; Description of French's presentation; Requirements of French in selecting the right dictionary to give to students.
- PEOPLE. // Background Notes on Countries of the World: Republic of Senegal;May 2005, p2
Provides information about the population of Senegal. Use of the French language by the literate minority; Proportion of immigrants to the total population; Density variation in rural areas.
- Les stratÃ©gies d'apprentissage de la lecture : une perspective comparative et Ã©volutive entre l'arabe et le franÃ§ais. Touhami, Saidani // Synergies AlgÃ©rie;2013, Issue 19, p215
In this paper, we focus on literacy seen as the ability to read and write in both languages, Arabic / French to what learners are exposed from the primary cycle in multilingual context. But observe students, it seems that their acquisitions of knowledge about writing that will help them to learn...
- European and North American French-speaking regions. Eakle, A. Jonathan; Garber, Andrew M. // Reading Research Quarterly;Apr-Jun2004, Vol. 39 Issue 2, p233
Discusses a report on literacy practices in French-speaking countries. Interest for finding convergences between various aspects of literacy; Involvement of French-speaking countries in an international assessment initiative; Information on a research that compared first graders' emergent...
- Literacy: Does language make a difference? Corbeil, Jean-Pierre // Canadian Social Trends;Winter98, Issue 51, p2
Examines the literacy profiles of English and French Canadians in terms of education, age and reading habits. Factors that may contribute to the differences in literacy levels between the two linguistic groups; Literacy skills in minority language communities; Analysis of the literacy gap.