Literacy in a thousand words
- Why it's important to understand economics. Walstad, William // Region (10453369);Dec98, Vol. 12 Issue 4, p22
Focuses on the advantages of economic literacy. Classes of knowledge to where economic literacy contributes to; Question on how to improve economic literacy in a society; Discussion on economic education; Essential ingredients for an effective education in schools.
- Human Welfare and Economic Growth. // Economic Trends (07482922);Jun2000, p12
Presents updates on human welfare and economic growth in the United States (U.S.) in 2000. Literacy rate; Growth in human welfare of the country, according to the U.S. Human Development Index.
- Business books in brief. Halverson, Guy // Christian Science Monitor;9/26/95, Vol. 87 Issue 211, p8
Reviews the book `Economic Literacy: What Everyone Needs To Know About Money And Markets,' by Jacob DeRooy.
- Reading, 'Riting or Doing Time: ILLITERATE OFFENDERS ON PROBATION GETTING STRAIGHT. Nicholson, George // ABA Journal;Jun90, Vol. 76 Issue 6, p66
Discusses the social costs of illiteracy in terms of crime, welfare, job incompetence, remedial training, taxes and lost revenues in the U.S. Range of experimental educational probation program for illiterate offenders; Policy implications on literacy levels and the justice system.
- New Jersey's literacy gap. // Business News New Jersey;11/16/98, Vol. 11 Issue 41, p12
Editorial. Comments on New Jersey's literacy gap. United States Department of Labor's reported increase in productivity; Low levels of literacy among adults in the state which has repercussions on their employment potential.
- Book reviews: Social sciences. Wenner, Alex // Library Journal;8/1/1995, Vol. 120 Issue 13, p86
Reviews the book `Economic Literacy: What Everyone Needs to Know About Money and Markets,' by Jacob DeRooy.
- 21st-Century Literacy: Libraries Must Lead. Ellingson, JoAnn // American Libraries;Dec98, Vol. 29 Issue 11, p52
Questions whether literacy will be the key to economic viability in the 21st century. The public's perception that literacy involves basic skills or English as a second language; The United States congress' definition of literacy in the National Literacy Act; The 1992 assessment of literacy by...
- Literacy: A Veritable Tool for Improving Livelihood in Nigeria. Zuofa, C. C. // Asian Social Science;Aug2011, Vol. 7 Issue 8, p159
The concept "literacy" may seem very simple to the understanding of every individual, but it has proved to be complex, dynamic and continued to be defined and interpreted in various ways. Livelihood on the other hand, goes beyond poverty eradication and stretches to factors and processes that...
- CHAPTER 6: OTHER INDICATORS. // Peru Country Profile;2006, p36
Presents information on the performance of economic indicators in Peru as of January 2003. Population; Literacy rate; Number of doctors.