Gun Control Overview
- Gun control rejected in big blow to Obama. Bolton, Alexander // Hill;4/18/2013, Vol. 20 Issue 44, p1
No abstract available.
- Is This Democracy? LEVINE, ROBERT A. // Moderate Voice;4/24/2013, p12
The article reports on the consideration of the defeat of gun control expansion, specifically on the background check for gun buyers, as a challenge to the democratic process in the U.S. The defeat is regarded a manifestation of the control of powerful special interests on the legislative...
- Pro-Gun Rally Draws Hundreds to Capitol. Garber, Andrew // Skanner (Seattle, WA & Portland, OR Combined Edition);2/13/2013, Vol. 35 Issue 19, p1
The article reports on the issues concerning gun control laws in the U.S. A rally organized by gun-rights supporters in Olympia, Washington on February 8, 2014 is highlighted. The bill sponsored by Seattle Representative Jamie Pederson is emphasized which would require universal background...
- Get behind common-sense agenda on guns. // National Catholic Reporter;8/14/2015, Vol. 51 Issue 22, p28
The article discusses the need for the U.S. Congress to enact gun control laws and sentences for gun law violations in view of incidents of mass shootings. Topics include the U.S. Second Amendment on the right to bear arms, argument of the Faiths United to Prevent Gun Violence, a coalition of...
- Why Jay Carney's Beard Freaked Everyone Out. Graves, Lucia; Koren, Marina; Oliphant, James // National Journal;1/11/2014, p16
The article comments on the failure of the U.S. Congress to produce laws related to gun restrictions. Topics covered include the need for background checks for gun shows, the case of Jared Lee Loughner who shot U.S. Representative Gabrielle Giffords and the need for strengthening gun rules. Also...
- Background checks vital to success. Chipman, David // Hill;2/13/2013, Vol. 20 Issue 16, p32
The author focuses the benefits of the inception of the U.S. National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), which blocks the purchase of firearms at licensed dealerships by individuals who are barred by federal law from owning the weapon.
- Firearm Background Checks Increase. Buol Jr., John M. // American Gunsmith;Aug2013, Vol. 28 Issue 8, p2
The article focuses on the increase in firearm background checks in the U.S. in 2013. It notes that the Justice Department will spend over 20 million dollars on improving data reporting in the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). A survey showed that gun retailers are...
- Giffords launches fresh push for gun control. Wheeler, Lydia; Lillis, Mike // Hill;3/5/2015, Vol. 22 Issue 25, p16
The article reports on the support of former U.S. Representative Gabrielle Giffords on the reintroduction of the 2015 Public Safety and Second Amendment Right Protection Act which allows private sellers conduct background checks on buyers.
- Will the GOP block background checks? DIONNE, JR., E.J. // Moderate Voice;04/08/2013, p13
The article focuses on stand of the U.S. Republican Party on gun control in the country. It states that only one republican, Mark Kirk has worked with democrats on background check law. It mentions that republicans' support for weapons manufacturers will not help in their renewal. It highlights...