Do gun control laws control guns?
- Britain's Gun Control Not Working. // Outdoor Life;Nov2004, Vol. 211 Issue 9, p20
Deals with the increase of gun crimes in Great Britain. Percentage increase of robbery and murders since 1996; Information on the new gun laws being considered by the liberal Labor Party in response to the increase in crimes.
- Guns or Religion? // America;5/12/1934, Vol. 51 Issue 5, p97
The article focuses on the growth of murder cases in the U.S. Statistician Frederick L. Hoffman believes that the restriction of the sale of firearms is the first step to check the rate of murder cases. The author claims that the root of the crime lies in the fact that nine out of 10 children...
- And don't forget your gun. Raunch, Jonathan // National Journal;3/20/99, Vol. 31 Issue 12, p731
Discusses the results of experiments conducted to determine the issuance of permit to carry concealed weapons to the rate of criminality in the United States. Statistics on carrying permits issued across the country; Assessment of impact of the `shall issue' laws on carrying weapons on...
- Should Congress Enact Administration Proposals For Increased Federal Controls Over Firearms? CON. Sikes, Robert L.F. // Congressional Digest;Aug/Sep67, Vol. 46 Issue 8/9, p217
Presents the remarks of the U.S. Representative of Florida, addressed to the U.S. House of Representatives on May 25, 1967. Debate over the proposed firearms control in the country; Crime rate in the District of Columbia; Sources of guns in crime.
- Should Congress Enact Administration Proposals For Increased Federal Controls Over Firearms? CON. Casey, Robert R. // Congressional Digest;Aug/Sep67, Vol. 46 Issue 8/9, p219
Presents the remarks of the U.S. Representative of Texas, which was addressed to the U.S. House of Representatives on March 20, 1967. Proposed firearms control in the country; Use of firearms to commit major crimes of violence.
- Concealed weapons reduce crime. // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;4/10/95, Vol. 22 Issue 17, p27
Highlights an article by Samuel Francis about states that have passed laws that allow almost any gun owner to apply for a permit to carry a concealed weapon. Statistics about the reduction of handgun-related crimes in Florida.
- More gun control initiatives make us feel safe: But do they help? Williams // New York Amsterdam News;11/11/99, Vol. 90 Issue 46, p8
Speculates on the effectiveness of gun-control legislation to curb the rising violence in the United States. Several cases of workplace shooting; Gun-control law's creation of a sense of false empowerment; Call for the President Bill Clinton Administration to enforce stricter standards of...
- No Guns Allowed. Egan, Timothy // New York Times Upfront;3/25/2002, Vol. 134 Issue 12, p7
Reports the decision of the University of Utah to remove gun bans for students licensed to carry concealed weapon. Reason for the decision; Response of the Utah Attorney General on the move; Rank of Utah among the state with the lowest crime rate.
- D.C. sniper killings revive idiotic notion that guns are the problem. Sowell, Thomas // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;10/21/2002, Vol. 32 Issue 17, p30
Comments on the sniper killings in Washington D.C. Failure of gun control laws to control people who are in the business of breaking laws; Tendency of allowing law-abiding citizens to own and carry concealed weapons to produce less violence; Statistics used by gun control advocates on lower...