New endangered species plan unveiled
- No cod peace. Comeau, Pauline // Canadian Geographic;Mar/Apr98, Vol. 118 Issue 2, p24
Reports on the status of Atlantic Cod found in Canada. Findings of the report prepared by fish ecologist Kim Bell of the Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada; Recommendations of Bell regarding the vulnerability of Atlantic cod to extinction; Objections of the Department of...
- Assessing changes in age and size at maturation in collapsing populations of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). Olsen, Esben Moland; Lilly, George R.; Heino, Mikko; Morgan, M. Joanne; Brattey, John; Dieckmann, Ulf // Canadian Journal of Fisheries & Aquatic Sciences;Apr2005, Vol. 62 Issue 4, p811
By estimating probabilistic reaction norms for age and size at maturation, we show that maturation schedules of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) off Labrador and Newfoundland shifted toward earlier ages and smaller sizes during the late 1980s and early 1990s, when these populations underwent a severe...
- Feds Cod Napping. Harvey, Janice // Alternatives Journal (A\J) - Canada's Environmental Voice;Summer2003, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p38
Explores the failure of federal fisheries management in preserving the Newfoundland Atlantic cod. Classification of the fish as an endangered species; Quota-based management of single species of fishes; Demand for public inquiry on federal fisheries mismanagement.
- CAPE NO COD? // Newsweek;10/14/2002, Vol. 140 Issue 16, p65
Mentions fish that are restaurant menu items and are in danger of extinction. Atlantic Cod, Atlantic Swordfish, Farmed Salmon, Orange Roughy, Red Snapper, and Shark.
- Will the Real '"Slob" Fishermen Please Stand Up? Moss, Doug // E: The Environmental Magazine;Jul/Aug2005, Vol. 16 Issue 4, p4
In this article, the author discusses about environmental hazards in relation to the fishing industry. The author compares his childhood days with the present scenario of environmental problems. He states that as a child he was very fond of eating baby bluefish but today he don't even think...
- Spring cod convoys. // BioScience;Apr94, Vol. 44 Issue 4, p287
No abstract available.
- Twilight of the cod. Kunzig, Robert // Discover;Apr95, Vol. 16 Issue 4, p44
Details the factors contributing to the decline of the Atlantic cod in fisheries in Newfoundland and New England. History of the fisheries' development; Maritime technology changes which overharvested the fish; Development of research and information about the Atlantic cod's behavior; Formation...
- Multiple homing of Atlantic cod to a spawning ground. Robichaud, D.; Rose, G.A. // Canadian Journal of Fisheries & Aquatic Sciences;Dec2001, Vol. 58 Issue 12, p2325
Investigates the multiyear homing of Atlantic cod at a Bar Haven spawning ground in Placenta Bay, Newfoundland. Relocation of tagged fish; Details on the long-term-feeding migrations of cods; Management of commercial fisheries.
- Valley of the giants. Rivlin, Michael // Salt Water Sportsman;Jun95, Vol. 56 Issue 6, p58
Focuses on cod and pollock fishing in the Georges Bank and Nantucket Shoals in the North Atlantic Region. Fish hunting over deep-water wrecks; Party boats fishing in the Northeast wrecks; Fishing aboard the boats `Starship' and `Yankee Capts.'; Pollock and cod rigs.