Still under the gun
- Up in arms. Nelson, Zed // Time International (South Pacific Edition);7/6/1998, Issue 27, p24
Presents photographs depicting both sides of the gun control controversy in the United States. The right for people to carry weapons in self-defense; Comments.
- Taking Their Shot in Vegas. Stevenson, Seth; Gordon, Devin; Stefanakos, Victoria Scanlan; Memran, Michelle // Newsweek;1/17/2000, Vol. 135 Issue 3, p6
Mentions the United States gun industry's annual `Shot Show' in Las Vegas, Nevada. United States presidential adviser Bruce Reed, Housing Secretary Andrew Cuomo, and New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer to meet with gun executives in Las Vegas to try to avert more lawsuits.
- More in US carry guns; restrictions lose support. Chinni, Dante; Vanderpool, Tim // Christian Science Monitor;12/6/2001, Vol. 94 Issue 10, p1
Reports on the increase of gun sales in the United States since the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. Impact on gun control efforts by Democrats; Motives for purchasing a weapon; Use of guns as a deterrent to crime; Observation that gun sales increase in times of crisis.
- Shot down? Stein, Lisa // U.S. News & World Report;5/26/2003, Vol. 134 Issue 18, p15
Focuses on the ban on military-style semiautomatic assault weapons in the United States. Discussion of why President George W. Bush is not campaigning to retain it; Mention of the segments of society that support and oppose the ban; View that the ban will not be renewed when it expires in 2004;...
- Gun control crowd disarmed with facts. SOWELL, Thomas // Indianapolis Business Journal;1/7/2013 Supplement, Vol. 33, p12B
The article discusses aspects of gun control laws in the U.S. and in Great Britain. It notes that the law for firearms at U.S. schools is poor. It compares the murder rates in Great Britain and in the U.S. for more than two centuries. It emphasizes that gun control laws are counterproductive in...
- SEARCHING FOR WAYS TO FEEL SAFE. // State Legislatures;Apr2002, Vol. 28 Issue 4, p12
Reports on the increase in purchase of firearm in the U.S. after September 11, 2001. Increase in gun instruction classes; Argument of gun control advocates against gun circulation.
- Muzzled. Crowley, Michael // New Republic;9/27/2004, Vol. 231 Issue 13, p11
Offers a look at the expiration of the United States federal assault-weapons ban in September 2004, and the lack of protest from the Democratic Party. Challenge of appealing to pro-gun-control voters while eluding the wrath of the National Rifle Association (NRA); Reference to a comment made by...
- Gunning for Change. Gibeaut, John // ABA Journal;Mar2000, Vol. 86 Issue 3, p48
Reports that municipalities in the United States are taking aim at gun manufacturers in lawsuits based on public nuisance theories. Details on the Ceriale versus Smith & Wesson Corp. case; Theory of public nuisance; Stance of gun control proponents on the case; Information on several gun...
- Buckley on Gun Control. Buckley Jr., William F. // Cortlandt Forum;03/25/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 3, p247
Focuses on the issue of gun control in South Carolina. Rights of the citizens to secede from the government; Psychological comfort against marauders.