From Efficient Decoders to Strategic Readers
- The benign neglect of adolescent literacy. Vacca, Richard T. // Reading Today;Feb/Mar97, Vol. 14 Issue 4, p3
Presents the author's experience as a literacy educator. Importance of the literacy development of adolescents; Need for adolescents to use reading and writing to explore and construct meaning in the company of authors, other learners or teachers; Disturbing trends in adolescent literacy.
- Teens shadow college students. // Reading Today;Jun/Jul2003, Vol. 20 Issue 6, p4
Introduces the 'Teens for Literacy,' a reading and writing program designed by professor Allen Berger in Miami, Florida. Purpose of the program; Way to encourage teenagers to improve reading and writing in their schools; Features of the program.
- Reading adolescents' reading identities: Looking back to see ahead. Alvermann, Donna E. // Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy;May2001, Vol. 44 Issue 8, p676
Examines the reading identities ascribed to, and taken up by, adolescents who struggle with school literacy tasks. Definition of the terms culture and struggling reader; Assumptions underlying the cultural construction of struggling readers; Approaches to the cultural construction of...
- New OEDC report offers insights into adolescents' reading performance. // Reading Today;Feb/Mar2003, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p33
Offers insights into the reading performance of adolescents according to a report from the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. Relation of adolescents' performance in reading literacy to their interest in reading; Impact of changes and improvement in the reading proficiency...
- COMMUNAL READING AS A WAY TO FOSTER A READING CULTURE: THE ONE BOOK ONE LIBRARY PROJECT AT THE UNIVERSITY OF JOHANNESBURG. VAN VUREN, ANETTE JANSE // Mousaion;2011, Vol. 29 Issue 1, p96
The article gives a brief overview of literacy and reading in South Africa and explores the current reading culture in the country. Organisations working towards improving literacy and strengthening the South African reading culture focus on young children and teenagers. There are very few...
- fact and fiction. // Reading Today;Feb/Mar2003, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p13
Deals with facts and fiction related to education. Relation of adolescents' interest in reading to their performance in reading literacy; Discussion on the influence of socioeconomic background on reading literacy.
- Engaging adolescents in literacy learning. Abadiano, Helen R.; Turner, Jesse // New England Reading Association Journal;2006, Vol. 42 Issue 1, p60
Discusses the studies "The Construction of Meaning and Identity in the Composition of Reading of an Architectural Text" and "Stirring Up Justice: Adolescents Reading, Writing, and Changing the World," which provide opportunities to reflect on the complexity of adolescent literacy, understand the...
- Summertime And the Reading Is Easy. McCaffrey, Meg // School Library Journal;Jan2004, Vol. 50 Issue 1, p44
Offers information on four summer reading programs geared for teenagers in the U.S., as of January 2004. Background on the Takoma Teen Summer Book Slam at the Takoma Park Branch Library in Washington D.C.; History of a teen summer reading program developed by the Serra Regional Cooperative...
- Teenagers and Reading: Factors that shape the quality of teenagers' reading lives. Manuel, Jacqueline // English in Australia (0155-2147);2012, Vol. 47 Issue 2, p45
This paper explores the key findings of a range of research on teenagers and reading, focusing on the implications for classroom practice and student engagement. There is a particular emphasis on addressing the needs of underachieving and reluctant readers and the ways in which promoting reading...