Toward a critical pedagogy of popular culture: Literacy development among urban youth
- Realms of Knowledge: Is There a Common Core? // Education Week;9/5/1984, Vol. 4 Issue 1, pL24
The article comments on the failure of achieving cultural literacy in the U.S. Teachers will need more experience to deal with students from diverse social groups and need to be more aware of contextual issues, culture and history, according to Sarah Lawrence Lightfoot, professor of education...
- Beyond the cave myth: Re-mythologizing democratic literacy. Carlson, Dennis // Studies in the Literary Imagination;Spring98, Vol. 31 Issue 1, p87
Studies education in the United States, while highlighting the objective of education which is to develop literacy. What kinds or types of literacy should be promoted through public education; Reference to two poems which were published in a poetry magazine; Information on the poems; Details on...
- Grading the Teachers. Garney, Eliza Newlin; Gorman, Siobhan // National Journal;1/16/99, Vol. 31 Issue 3, p111
Focuses on the status of education in the United States. Problems of the country's educational system; Traditional notion about the quality of education; Revelation that public opinion always put education on top of the problem of the United States;
- ASSESSING COLLEGE CIVIC LITERACY. Miller, Edward J. // Education;Summer87, Vol. 107 Issue 4, p379
Focuses on college civic literacy in the United States. Civic requirements in education; Civic competency.
- What's Literacy Got to Do with It? Shafer, Gregory // Humanist;Sep/Oct2002, Vol. 62 Issue 5, p22
Examines the value of literacy and education in the U.S. society. Reason behind the apathy of Americans toward education; Perception of the public toward literacy; Example of how literacy was used as a way to control and manipulate students; Discussion on the reproduction practice in...
- Words that have no meaning. Berger, Allen // Reading Today;Oct/Nov94, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p31
Focuses on the tendency of educators in the United States to focus on the weaknesses and errors of their students. Increased number of illiterate persons in the US; Increased claims of learning disabilities; Failure of the American society to recognize that there are many ways to improve literacy.
- Confronting the morality of mediocrity. McNamara, Joseph S. // USA Today Magazine;Nov98, Vol. 127 Issue 2642, p72
Examines the status of education in the United States (US). Problems in math and science performance; Functional literacy rate of the country; Spending of the US on education.
- Plan for Lifelong Learning. Gore, Al // World & I;Nov2000, Vol. 15 Issue 11, p60
Proposes a lifelong learning plan in order to eliminate illiteracy in the United States. Outline of the educational plan; Significance of lifelong learning plan; Discussion on the changes taking place in the economy and society which necessitate the creation of a lifelong learning plan.
- Educate Every Child. Bush, George W. // World & I;Nov2000, Vol. 15 Issue 11, p62
Outlines an education proposal for literacy improvement in the United States. Importance of teaching every child reading skills; Strategies to eliminate the technology gap; How should education standards be measured.