The definition of literacy is changing
- Family Literacy Programs: Where Have They Come from and Where Are They Going? DOYLE, Antoinette // Frontiers of Education in China;Mar2012, Vol. 7 Issue 1, p85
Family literacy programs in North America and the United Kingdom have enjoyed widespread public and political support. Thousands of initiatives following a variety of models currently operate under the spectrum of family literacy programs. In this paper, the influence of learning theories, the...
- Are you up for the screen-free challenge? Campbell, Kristen // Hub (Hay River, NT);1/25/2012, Vol. 39 Issue 47, p6
The article reports on the move of that staff at the NWT Centennial Library in Hay River, Northwest Territories to promote literacy and encourage entertainment alternatives for Family Literacy Day.
- Untitled. White, Jesse // Illinois Literacy;Fall2013, p1
An introduction is presented in which the author discusses various reports within the issue on topics including literacy programs in fiscal year 2013 in Illinois, commitment in supporting the program and encouragement on families to spend quality time in reading and learning together.
- From the editors. Gibson, Sharan A.; Cappello, Marva; Hobsbaum, Angela; Koefoed, Blair; Ross, Pamela // Literacy Teaching & Learning: An International Journal of Early ;2009, Vol. 13 Issue 1/2, preceding p1
The article discusses various reports published within the issue including one by Alanna Rochelle Dale and colleagues on literacy practices in a Community Book Club, one by Elsa S. Billings on the frequency and forms of family literacy practices associated with a pediatrician-based program, and...
- Instilling a Love of Learning at Home. CHASEK, ARLENE S.; ROSEN, MICHELLE // Education Digest;Sep2011, Vol. 77 Issue 1, p57
The article presents a discussion of the program of the Rutgers' Center for Family Involvement called Family Literacy in ConTEXT (FLIC) that seeks to create stronger communication skills in students and parents as well as teacher training programs, adapted from NJEA Review," 84, February 2011.
- FAMILY LITERACY NIGHT. // Fairfield County Business Journal;1/5/2015, Vol. 51 Issue 1, p17
The article offers brief information on the family literacy night at the Lathon Wider Community Center in Stamford, Connecticut on December 16, 2014, sponsored by the Junior League of Stamford-Norwalk and the Stamford Public Education Foundation.
- Competence-Based Staff Training and Evaluation in a Family Literacy Program. Brown, Cheryl // International Journal of Reality Therapy;Fall2002, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p42
This certification week presentation highlights the process of developing Competence-Based Training and Evaluation within the Family Learning and Health Pilot Project, an initiative of the Saint John Learning Exchange. The article gives a brief background of the organization, discusses old...
- Young children and reading: Trends across the twentieth century. Teale, William H. // Journal of Education;1995, Vol. 177 Issue 3, p95
Provides a history of views and practices related to the development of literacy in both preschool and primary grade children in the United States. Description of what has been tried in early childhood reading education; Twentieth-century reading instruction in the United States; Preschool...
- Family literacy--a secondary initiative the Archway project. Buckeridge, Gill // Adults Learning;Sep96, Vol. 8 Issue 1, p10
Focuses on family literacy, and its effects on families. Relationship between a parent's literacy and his/her children's abilities in mathematics and reading; Information on work done by the Adult Basic Education (ABE) tutors; Efforts by Archway and Jane Palmer of Stroud College's ABE to help...