Muslims in America
- House Democrats ready to give immigration bill another shot. Allen, Jared; Rushing, J. Taylor // Hill;3/25/2009, Vol. 16 Issue 35, p4
The article reports that the U.S. House of Representatives is preparing for more debates over the issue of immigration legislation.
- Immigration Legislation. // Congressional Digest;Mar1986, Vol. 65 Issue 3, p69
Pending in the House is the Senate-passed Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1985. Discussion of the legislation includes controlling illegal entry; recent action in Congress; and a summary of the Senate-passed act.
- The Immigration Act Of 1989. // Congressional Digest;Oct89, Vol. 68 Issue 10, p225
Presents a general discussion of the immigration issue in the United States. Reforms; Conflicts.
- Amendments To S. 358, The Immigration Act Of 1989. // Congressional Digest;Oct89, Vol. 68 Issue 10, p232
Presents the amendments considered by the Senate to S.358, the immigration Act of 1989, as described in the Congressional Record.
- Major Provisions Of S. 358. // Congressional Digest;Oct89, Vol. 68 Issue 10, p233
Summarizes S. 358, the Immigration Act of 1989, as amended, which was passed in the Senate on July 13, 1989 by a vote of 81-17 and which still awaits action by the House of Representatives.
- Should The Senate-Passed Immigration Act Of 1989 Be Approved? // Congressional Digest;Oct89, Vol. 68 Issue 10, p236
Presents the arguments from the pro side of the debate over whether or not the Senate-passed Immigration Act of 1989 should be approved as argued by the Hon. Edward M. Kennedy, Hon. Alan K. Simpson, Hon. Paul Simon, Hon. Phil Gramm, Hon. Terry Sanford, and the Hon. Brock Adams.
- Toward a new immigration policy. Salins, Peter D. // Commentary;Jan1997, Vol. 103 Issue 1, p45
Comments on the debate over immigration policy in the United States. Passage of legislation in the US Congress that would deny several services to both legal and illegal immigrants; Ambivalence of the American public toward immigration; Economic impact of immigration; Ways of reducing the flow...
- Closing the door, a little. // Christian Science Monitor;6/8/95, Vol. 87 Issue 135, p20
Editorial. Reports on the Congress reworking the nation's immigration laws. Findings of a report by the Commission on Immigration Reform chartered by Congress; Analysis of California's Proposition 187; Details of the action sought by the Commission to bring down legal migrants; Reasons for...
- Narrating the nation, unwelcoming the stranger: Anti-immigration policy in contemporary `America'. Shapiro, Michael J. // Alternatives: Global, Local, Political;Jan-Mar1997, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p1
Analyzes the anti-immigration policy in contemporary `America.' Effects of representational practices in the United States; Revelations of the biblical texts on the righteousness of endogamy; Extent of the Arabs being strangers to Jews; Insights on the drive to constitute the `American' identity.