Arctic drilling plans halted
- Sanctuary. Chadwick, Douglas H. // National Geographic;Oct96, Vol. 190 Issue 4, p1
Discusses the National Wildlife Refuge (NWR) System in the United States. Created in 1903 by President Theodore Roosevelt; Number of NWRs; Their land coverage; Descriptions of each; NWRs fighting against Congress and civilians who desire the land; NWRs as managing biodiversity; Walnut Creek NWR...
- Don't seek refuge here. Peterson, C. // Sierra;Sep/Oct89, Vol. 74 Issue 5, p26
Discusses the debate over the future of the National Wildlife Refuge System as pollution and development pressures threaten to undermine its existence.
- Wild things. Laycock, George // Boys' Life;Sep96, Vol. 86 Issue 9, p16
Presents a sampling of refuges for wildlife. Includes Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge, Virginia; Arkansas National Wildlife Refuge, Texas; Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge, Oklahoma. INSET: Scouting on the refuges..
- America's unknown wildlands. // Sierra;Mar/Apr87, Vol. 72 Issue 2, p44
Experienced backpackers are starting to explore the natural riches within the National Wildlife Refuge System. The 424 refuges include 90 million acres that provide a home for ducks, geese and swans, along with birds and large mammals. There fuges' primary mission is maintaining or increasing...
- Big game. // TravelAmerica;Jan/Feb99, Vol. 14 Issue 4, p47
Looks at some of America's safari attractions and wildlife refuges. Includes the Lion Country Safari near West Palm Beach, Florida; Disney's Animal Kingdom at the Walt Disney World; Fossil Rim Wildlife Center in Texas Hill Country; Fossil Rim Wildlife Center in Texas. INSET: Almost Africa.
- Drilling in National Wildlife Refuges. // Junior Scholastic;04/09/2001, Vol. 103 Issue 16, p13
Presents a quiz about oil exploration in national wildlife refugees in the United States.
- Supporting our national wildlife refuges. Flicker, John // Audubon;Nov/Dec96, Vol. 98 Issue 6, p10
Calls for support for national wildlife refuges. Relationship between refuges and the National Audubon Society; Highlights on offerings of different refuges; Includes Cape May National Wildlife Refuge; Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge.
- American White Pelicans. // Science Teacher;Feb98, Vol. 65 Issue 2, p12
Presents information on the Anaho National Wildlife Refuge, of the United States, which boasts one of the nation's largest colonies of breeding American White Pelicans. Information on the breeding habits of the birds; Details on the bird's feeding habits.
- Taking Matters Into Your Own Hands. Schueller, Gretel H. // Audubon;Sep/Oct2000, Vol. 102 Issue 5, p137
Features three sanctuaries of the National Audubon Society in the United States. Star Ranch sanctuary in Orange County, California; Ten Mile Creek sanctuary in Oregon; Alkali Lake sanctuary in Jamestown, North Dakota.