Smulyan, Rooney differ on soft money' reforms
- Bill would curtail Utah fund's plans. Fletcher, Meg // Business Insurance;03/30/98, Vol. 32 Issue 13, p30
Focuses on the expansionist plans of the Utah State Fund through legislation being presented to the government for signature. Details on the diversifications of operations by the quasi-state agency; Examination of the fund's expansionist proposals; Reference to the bill, H.B. 167.
- Understanding international differences in leverage trends. Remolona, Eli M. // Quarterly Review (01476580);Spring90, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p31
Investigates why leverage trends in the United States have differed from those in other countries. Global patterns of leverage; Theories of capital structure; Leverage-target behavior; Packing-order behavior; Conclusions.
- Effects of leverage on corporate investment and hiring... Cantor, Richard // Quarterly Review (01476580);Summer90, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p31
Presents evidence that increases in leverage at the firm level associated with increased volatility in capital expenditures and employment growth rate. How the potential effects of leverage are assessed; Characteristics of the data; Summary statistics describing the more and less leveraged...
- High-leverage loans have some benefits. Gavry, Chris // BusinessWest;May98, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p54
Comments on the benefits of high-leverage loans to businesses. What is the secret of leveraging; What lenders do when reviewing a loan request; Key factor in determining the strength of a loan request; Analysis of benefits.
- Recaps dominate leveraged deals. M.S.P. // Mergers & Acquisitions: The Dealermaker's Journal;Sep/Oct97, Vol. 32 Issue 2, p2
States that according to Price Water-house LLP, 90% of leverage transactions completed in 1997, are leverage recapitalizations and not leverage buyouts. Reason for popularity of leverage recapitalization; Objectives of using a leverage recap; Observations of Mark McDade concerning companies;...
- Combined leverage and stock risk. Li, Rong-Jen; Henderson Jr, Glenn V. . // Quarterly Journal of Business & Economics;Winter91, Vol. 30 Issue 1, p18
Discusses the firm's degree of leverage that is commonly considered to be the product of degrees of operating and financial leverage. Theoretical argumentation with the simulations and a comparison of their measures used for conventional stock leverage; Huffman's leverage theory; The effect of...
- An application of the VAR technique to a beta decomposition... Darrat, Ali F.; Mukherjee, Tarun K. // Quarterly Journal of Business & Economics;Spring91, Vol. 30 Issue 2, p75
Shows the applicability and usefulness of the vector autoregressive (VAR) modeling technique in studying the causal linkages between a firm's degree of operating and financial leverage and its beta. Objectives of the study; Mandelker and Rhee model; Data and testing methodology; Four variables...
- Corporate takeover bids, methods of payment and the... Trifts, Jack W. // Quarterly Journal of Business & Economics;Summer91, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p33
Discusses information on the tests for a leverage effect while controlling for the method of payment. Differences between the abnormal returns in cash and stock transactions; Several hypotheses on the role of leverage in acquisitions; Sample of completed acquisitions gathered from `Mergers and...
- Implied penalties for financial leverage: Theory versus empirical evidence. Marston, Felicia; Perry, Susan // Quarterly Journal of Business & Economics;Spring96, Vol. 35 Issue 2, p77
Examines the use of leverage adjustment techniques for beta in determining costs of equity capital. Relationship between beta and financial leverage; Description of method and data used in the study.