Arctic Oil's Political Allure
- US approves plan to open Atlantic to oil reserve surveys. // Energy Today (Hungary);7/21/2014, p4
The article reports on the approval by the U.S. on July 18, 2014 of a plan that would allow companies to assess oil resources off the Atlantic Coast, which angered environmental groups who expressed worry that the plan will harm marine life and allow offshore drilling.
- PODER to the people. Cusac, Anne-Marie // Progressive;Mar97, Vol. 61 Issue 3, p15
Focuses on People Organized in Defense of Earth and her Resources (PODER), a group of Chicano environmental activists in East Austin, Texas. Description of some of PODER's activities; PODER's campaign for the relocation of Browning Ferris International Recycling Plant.
- Senseless Environmentalism Is Erasing your Bottom Line. Nichols, Larry // New Mexico Business Journal;May2004, Vol. 28 Issue 5, p18
Reveals that Otero Mesa is the center of attention for environmental groups in New Mexico claiming oil and gas development will destroy the wild land. Truth behind drilling for oil and natural gas; Significance of the Otero Mesa oil and gas development for New Mexico; Reason New Mexico is...
- Norway should pull Arctic oil blocks from next awards, NGOs day. // Energy Today (Hungary);4/7/2014, p3
The article reports that Norway has been urged by Greenpeace and other environmental groups to withdraw proposed oil-exploration blocks for the next licensing round in 2014 due to their close proximity to the polar ice cap.
- HAPPY TRAILS. McManus, Reed // Sierra;May/June2001, Vol. 86 Issue 3, p40
Focuses on the wilderness outings of the Sierra Club in the United States since 1901. Goal of High Trips, an annual summer outing which was done until 1972; Information on the Sierra Club Outings program; Details on the commitment of the club to environment conservation; Objective of service...
- Greens Crying Wolf. Yarbrough, Mark // Orange County Business Journal;08/14/2000, Vol. 23 Issue 22, p66
Comments on the awareness of environmentalists in relation to environment protection in California. Details on prevention of a tree replacement plan; Allegations of pollution directed at the city government of San Diego; Contention on the interference of environmentalist groups; Query on the...
- Graying of the greens. Blair, Tim; Cole-Adams, Kate // Time International (South Pacific Edition);7/17/95, Issue 28, p96
Reports on the changes in Australian conservation movement. Shifting loyalties; Relationship between the small and the larger environmental groups; Cooperation with the government and the industry; Differences over governmental funding; Environment's role in the Federal election; Re-electionist...
- For many, environmental action means return to roots. // National Catholic Reporter;07/30/99, Vol. 35 Issue 35, p14
Focuses on Catholic environmental programs of the Sisters of Earth group in the United States. Comments from members of the organization; Purpose of planting organic gardens in Iowa's Mount Carmel motherhouse; Features of Michaela Farm in Indiana; Activities of the organization outside the...
- Seizing the reins. Saunders, Jade // New Internationalist;Jun99, Issue 313, p28
Lists associations that may be of help to environmental activists around the world. Includes Friends of the Earth in New South Wales; Canadian Environmental Network of Canada; Recommended books.