Nuclear's unclear future
- World News. // International Power Generation;May99 Supplement, Vol. 22, p7
Reports the decommissioning of Trawsyndd nuclear power station by the British company Controlled Demolition Group (CDG) in North Wales. Value of the contract; Process involved in dismantling of equipments; Plans for the building remains; Previous work of CDG at Trafyndd.
- Fall Out: Cleaning up the nuclear legacy. // Contract Journal;4/10/2002, Vol. 413 Issue 6372, p16
Reports on the efforts of Great Britain to clean up its nuclear industry. Estimated cost of clean-up initiatives; Plan of the British government to transfer responsibility for the clean-up; Stages of the decommissioning process performed on nuclear plants.
- Old Tax Code in a New Nuclear Marketplace. McNeil, Jr., Corbin A. // Electric Perspectives;Jan/Feb2000, Vol. 25 Issue 1, p57
Reports on the federal tax treatment of nuclear decommissioning trust funds in the United States. Why state and federal policymakers have an interest in ensuring an adequate decommissioning funding; Requirement for decommissioning a nuclear power plant.
- ENR Washington observer. Ichniowski, Tom; Winston, Sherie; Behrens, Lira // ENR: Engineering News-Record;08/24/98, Vol. 241 Issue 7, p9
Focuses on the participation of several government agencies on construction projects in the United States (US). Details on the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission's revision of its inspection program and assessment of nuclear plant licensees; Information on the job site safety program plan of the...
- Decommissioning calls for meticulous advance planning. Strauss, Sheldon D. // Power;Nov/Dec96, Vol. 140 Issue 9, p47
Provides information relevant to nuclear power plants when planning to decommission. US Nuclear Regulatory Commission's alternatives and technology requirements; Factors affecting a nuclear plant owner to decommission; Process involved in decommissioning. INSET: Dismantling/decommissioning--a...
- The cost of shutting down. Fertel, Marvin S. // Electric Perspectives;Sep/Oct93, Vol. 17 Issue 5, p42
Discusses the estimated cost for decommissioning a power plant. Three main developments; Defining `decommissioning'; Questions on financial responsibility for spent fuels when plants shut down; Events which created uncertainty about the industry's ability to make acceptable, accurate estimates;...
- Decommissioning Opportunities in the UK. // Nuclear Plant Journal;Jan/Feb2007, Vol. 25 Issue 1, p40
The article provides informatin on the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA) in Great Britain. According to the author, NDA's basic operating principle is to start a supply chain and give entree to all companies that specializes in decommissioning. Information on the NDA's role, the...
- How to dismantle a nuclear reactor. // New Scientist;3/10/2012, Vol. 213 Issue 2855, p46
The article discusses how to dismantle a nuclear reactor. According to the International Atomic Energy Agency, 138 commercial power reactors had been permanently shut down and approximately 80 are expected to be decommissioned between 2012-2020. Reportedly, only 17 have been dismantled and made...
- The view from Wall Street. Abramson, Barry M. // Electric Perspectives;Sep/Oct93, Vol. 17 Issue 5, p46
Discusses the financial aspect of nuclear decommissioning. Difficulty in defining financial risks associated with decommission; Reasons; Considerations by the financial community; Premature retirement as major risk regarding decommissioning; Retirement attached to rising operating and...