SEARCHING FOR WAYS TO FEEL SAFE
- Double-barrelled baloney. Reed, Christopher // Bulletin with Newsweek;10/10/2000, Vol. 118 Issue 6245, p20
Comments on use of guns in the United States. Accounts of the uses of the gun by early Americans; Refutation of gun ownership in the book 'Arming America: The Origins of a National Gun Culture,' by Michael Bellesiles; Inefficacy of musket guns in battle; Credit for the perfection of...
- Concealed guns: a crime-fighting tactic? Belsie, Laurent // Christian Science Monitor;4/5/99, Vol. 91 Issue 89, p3
Focuses on the debate over firearms in the United States as of April 6, 1999. Missouri vote to allow citizens to arm themselves in public; Continued debate over firearms; Importance of removing guns from criminals in reducing crime; Mention of an initiative by President Bill Clinton to...
- Still under the gun. Lacayo, Richard; Maddux, Barbara // Time International (South Pacific Edition);7/6/1998, Issue 27, p22
Introduces a series of articles about gun control in the United States as of June 1998. Efforts to control guns in 1968; Increased number of children killed or wounded by guns.
- Up in arms. Nelson, Zed // Time International (South Pacific Edition);7/6/1998, Issue 27, p24
Presents photographs depicting both sides of the gun control controversy in the United States. The right for people to carry weapons in self-defense; Comments.
- Small Arms...Advice for Armorers. // PS: Preventive Maintenance Monthly;Nov99, Issue 564, p36
Provides preventive maintenance tips for United States Army armorers with regards to small arms and other weapons. Tips in cleaning small arms; Means to protect against shiny spots in weapons; Tips for the storage of weapons in the arms room.
- VIEWS ABOUT GUNS. // American Enterprise;Jul/Aug99, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p93
Presents the result of a survey about public views on guns in the United States. Number of citizens that own a gun and those who have fired one; Ratio of people that say that someone close to them has been shot; Percentage of people that favor no restrictions on owning guns.
- Gun-Control Crowd Misuses Fear Factor to Distort the Truth. Sowell, Thomas // Insight on the News;11/12/2002, Vol. 18 Issue 40, p50
Discusses the importance of gun control laws in the U.S. Effects of allowing law-abiding citizens to own and carry concealed weapons on the rate of violence, according to empirical studies; Countries that have strong gun control laws; Instances when carrying weapons create danger.
- As more carry hidden guns, who's safer? Thurman, James N. // Christian Science Monitor;9/1/99, Vol. 91 Issue 194, p1
Focuses on how more and more states are allowing concealed weapons and questions whether concealed weapons encourage crime.
- Is He the Smoking Gun? Bai, Matt // Newsweek (Atlantic Edition);01/25/99 (Atlantic Edition), Vol. 133 Issue 4, p42
Discusses the firearms industry in the United States. How Robert Haas, a retired Smith & Wesson executive, became involved in the Hamilton vs. Accu-Tek case; His claim that gun executives did not take any action to stop the underground flow of guns into American cities; The gun industry's...