INTELLIGENT and Integrated
- Firms find highways to happiness. Fine, Howard // Orange County Business Journal;10/28/96, Vol. 19 Issue 44, p1
Reports that highway projects in Orange County, California has pushed up the billings of some of the engineering companies in the county. Names of largest firms that saw an increase; Information on employment within the engineering companies; Statistics for national construction for the first...
- Bitter Experiences Drive Israeli Design Practices. Sandler, Neal // ENR: Engineering News-Record;12/1/2003, Vol. 251 Issue 22, Building For a Secure... p22
There are few countries that can match the experience Israel has in designing protective structures. Military threats to population centers along borders forced Israelis into the field decades ago. Large-scale investments in securing buildings began in the early 1970s. Attacks led to the design...
- Taller Version of Tower Prompts Fancy Footwork. Reina, Peter // ENR: Engineering News-Record;10/8/2007, Vol. 259 Issue 13, p16
The article reports on the construction of the Broadgate Tower in London, England. Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (SOM) designed the 37,000-square-meter tower while British Land had built the roughly $60-million platform early, to minimize later risks of putting up a building over a railroad. SOM...
- Editor's Viewpoint. lvanovich, Michael // Consulting-Specifying Engineer;Aug2009, Vol. 46 Issue 2, p5
The article discusses various reports published within the issue, including one by Portland Energy Conservation Inc. on the persistence of building repairs, one on the impact of energy conservation measure (ECM), and one by Consulting-Specifying Engineer on commissioning among engineering firms.
- ICT Building. // Canadian Consulting Engineer;Oct/Nov2002, Vol. 43 Issue 6, p35
Describes the University of Calgary Information and Communication Technology Building project of Stantec Consulting in Calgary, Alberta. Structural design; Design and construction; Construction cost.
- Billions Slated for N.J. School Construction. // Consulting-Specifying Engineer;Mar2000, Vol. 27 Issue 3, p9
Reports on the Supreme Court mandate to renovate dilapidated schools in several districts of New Jersey. Amount that will be spent on the renovation; Estimated upgrade costs of heating and air-conditioning in Abbott school districts; Efforts of engineering firms to prepare for the project.
- Preserving History--and Lives. Moore, Wayne D.; Rosenbaum, Eric R.; Domnitch, Cheryl // Consulting-Specifying Engineer;Apr2001, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p59
Focuses on the challenges faced by engineering firms in the renovation of historical structures in the United States. Rebirth of interest in architectural gems; Importance of protection and revitalization of historical structures; Need for safety in historic preservation. INSET: Fireproofing...
- Steel Balls. // Inwood;Sep/Oct2008, Issue 82, p7
The article criticizes some newspapers for reporting steel-framed houses are better than wooden-framed houses and that they were the solution to New Zealand's leaky homes problem. Several newspapers have reported a story about an Auckland engineering firm breaking into the British construction...
- Winds of change. // Building Design;4/21/2006, Issue 1718, p6
The article reports that the pavilion planned for south London, England's Elephant and Castle has received planning permission. The pavilion was designed by the engineering firm XCO2. The structure is tram-shaped and is powered by photovoltaic cells on its roof, a wood pellet boiler and two...