WHEN DOES DISSENT BECOME TREACHERY?
- Lorenzo's turmoil. Warner, Denis // Bulletin with Newsweek;1/9/96, Vol. 116 Issue 6004, p32
Relates Filipino Lorenzo Gamboa's separation from his Australian wife, Joyce Cain as a result of the White Australia Policy in 1949. Gamboa as a sergeant in the American Army during World War II; Deportation from Australia; American citizenship; American and Philippine governments' support for...
- Transnational Lives: Colonial Immigration Restrictions and the White Australia Policy in the Riverina District of New South Wales, 1860-1960. McGowan, Barry // Chinese Southern Diaspora Studies;2013, Vol. 6, p45
In Australia the historical debate on the effects of immigration restrictions on the Chinese people has focused largely on the White Australia Policy. By contrast, in this paper I focus on the relatively neglected topic of intercolonial migration and compare the impact of the colonial...
- THE LONG DEMISE OF THE WHITE AUSTRALIA POLICY. Sammut, Jeremy // Quadrant Magazine;Nov2005, Vol. 49 Issue 11, p34
Discusses the false impression of racism behind the White Australia policy. Argument of Keith Windschuttle in his book "The White Australia Policy," which involves the misleading consensus on the policy; Role of biological racism in the thinking of Australian politicians regarding the...
- KEITH WINDSCHUTTLE ON WHITE AUSTRALIA. Teichmann, Max // National Observer;Winter2005, Issue 65, p38
Discusses Keith Windschuttleâ€™s book "The White Australia Policy." Analyses of aboriginal and immigration issues; Protection of the wage standards and working conditions of Australian workers; Sociology of shame which link with the politics of embarrassment.
- BOOK FIVE: The People Make Laws 1888-1915: THE TABLETS OF THE LAW. Clark, Manning // Manning Clark's History of Australia: abridged by Michael Cathca;1993, p414
Chapter 4 of the part five of the book "Manning Clark's History of Australia" is presented. It says that the White Australia policy became a tablet of the law of Australia in 1901. It states the decision of the Australian colonies to unite in Federal Commonwealth under the Crown of the United...
- THE WHITE AUSTRALIA POLICY AND NATIONAL UNITY. Newman, Sarah // Contemporary Review;Sep90, Vol. 257 Issue 1496, p142
This article discusses the White Australia policy and national unity. Australian hostility to the entry of non-Europeans in part reflected geography, the north's nearness to Asia, whose human reservoir could 'swamp' the European element. There was too a desire for a homogeneous community: a...
- Grievances from the grave. O'Flaherty, Patrick // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;9/20/93, Vol. 20 Issue 40, p15
States that six agencies representing historically wronged ethnic groups are currently lobbying the Ottawa government for cash. Former Prime Minister Brian Mulroney and the Japanese-Canadian Redress Agreement; Grievances of the six agencies; Meeting of the six with federal Multicultural...
- People. // Malta Country Review;2010, p64
The article provides information on the social structure in Malta with regards to the country's population, religion and ethnicity .
- At the center. Blacksher, Erika // Hastings Center Report;Sep/Oct97, Vol. 27 Issue 5, p1
Comments on the factors influencing the choice of terms used to describe ethnic groups. Degree of closeness speakers have with members of the groups referred to; Case examples; Implications of the choice of words used.